My son is 10 months old and I am thinking about switching him to whole milk...thoughts?

He absoltuely hates his formula, and trust me, we have tried them ALL. He is wanting big boy food only and we basically have to force feed him the formula. It is exhausitng and SUCH a battle!!

Jacksmom32

Asked by Jacksmom32 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would just call his doctor and ask them. They may want you to put him on Soy milk until he is a year old.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I wouldn't recommend it.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• no no no wait till 1, thats way too early for his tummy
    Anonymous

• I personally would wait at least another month before slowly introducing it, but you should contact your doctor. They may recommend goats or soy milk for the next couple of months.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 12:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I started my son at about ten and a half months, basically for the same reason. For about a month and a half i was having to put applesauce in his bottle with formula for him to even consider it. I started with whole vitamin d milk, and just watered it down. I would slowly add more milk and less water about every two days or so, before he was a year, he was drinking whole milk, completely fine. He had an upset tummy just the first time or two, but I used "Little tummys" for him and it all worked out just fine. He's now almost three and has had NO problems. =] Good Luck!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 12:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I agree completely with mommykayti. Slowly introduce it. I never understood why people think that 12 months is the magical number. Does their tummy go through some magical change the night before their birthday? i understand they can get upset tummys, but its like anything else you give to them, if you slowly introduce it his body will adjust. You can try mixing the milk with his formula too instead of water, I did that with almost all my kids I took care of when I worked at daycare. I would still talk to your doctor of course, but slowly introducing it should not be a problem
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 12:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR FIRST!! And just like any new food introduce it slowly. Your doctor will help you with that also. Doctors worry about the lactose in cows milk. And a few other things in it. Found out if there are any milk problems in your and your SO's families.
    babydollfriis

Answer by babydollfriis at 12:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I don't know why anyone would give their child cow milk anyway, especially before pediatricians recommendations.
    Anonymous

• Would he maybe take a mix of cows milk and formula?? The main reason to not give milk is because it doesn't have the right nutrition. So if he would take a mix then he would be at least getting some of that nutrition. Otherwise talk to your pediatrcian about maybe needing a vitamin supplement with the milk.
    At 10 months he could probably tolerate it fine.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2009