what is safest meds to take while breastfeeding for cold and cough???

i know i kno wask my dr but its a saturday and its not an emergency so no need to call and get charged like 35 $ just want to know what some of your drs have told you .... i had a fever last night of 101.6 that is gone now but have a headache and cough and sneezing,,, alot and a slight sore throat any advice is great,,, and sryup or pill form which is best?? thank you

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 12:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i always take tylenol cold it works grat for me
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Robitussin DM is the only medicine my doctor told me was OK. If you look up the ingredients on just about ANY cough medication out there (google), none of them are actually recommended to be used during breastfeeding. Even all-natural remedies (like the herbs in Ricola) can be harmful. I took Robitussin DM for my cold when it got really bad but didn't take anything else when I had a cold. Even cough drops aren't good (Menthol can screw with your milk supply). It sucks, but artificial chemicals are not something baby's systems can handle just yet.

If it persists for more than 2 weeks, it may be a bacterial infection which will clear up quickly with antibiotics. Still consider seeing the doctor.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 1:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Tylnol cold has stimulants in it you definatly want to stay away from that. Robatussin DM is the only thing safe for coughs and Benedryl for running nose. Plain regular tylnol for regular aches and pains. Thats about all your really supposed to take when pregnant.
    bugandsmiles

Answer by bugandsmiles at 1:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• no meds just gargle with salt water, they could have bad side effects to a develping baby. Try a vitamin C and chicken noodle soup!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I was told not to take anything for colds while prego... idk about breastfeeding. I would assume the same.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 3:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009