Why am I gaining more weight in my first trimester than the recommended armount?

I've gained 7 pounds during the first trimester! I eat well (just a lot more than normal) I've had a few hamburgers here and there but it's because I really wanted beef for some reason! I've been staying away from sugar and caffeine, and I used to be a caffeine and sugar junkie... Am I doing something wrong that I've gained more than 5 pounds??

preggoandfat

Asked by preggoandfat at 1:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I gained 18 lbs. during my first trimester (55 lbs. total for the whole pregnancy) and ate healthy foods, cut out sweets and caffeine, and followed my "pregnancy diet" religiously. Each person is different and their bodies will adjust to pregnancy differently. I wouldn't worry about it.

HappyGrl06

Answer by HappyGrl06 at 2:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• that is average . heck i lost 13 lbs in my first trimester . everyone is diff no need to worry about the averages . you will gain what is right for you and yoru baby .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 1:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Maybe you're Better off.. All My daughter does is lose wight! She's 25 & pregnant with her 3rd Child! She's down to 128 LBS.!! She never smoked, Drank or even drinks soda Etc.. I can't figure this out! Each pregnancy is different! Most of All I hope you're Well & Healthy! Best of Luck...
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 1:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Everyone is different. I only gained 18lbs by entire pregnancy and my son was 7lbs 6oz. Some people gain lots of weight and have tiny babies. It isnt so much about how much you gain but what you eat. Just keep making healthy choices and eat when youre hungry. I would say you have gained more because obviously you are hungry. My first trimester I lived on crackers and water, lol.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 1:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My first pregnancy, I gained 15 pounds in each trimester. It was considered fine to the doctors. I wouldn't worry about your 7.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• and I didn't keep anything down. i mostly ate healthy when I could. I was throwing up 6 times a day (my whole pregnancy), ate much less than I ever did. so, sometimes it has nothing to do with what you eat. it didn't for me.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Thank you everybody! I was starting to feel like I was doing "something wrong"! Everything I've read always says 3-5 lbs during the first trimester and it's not like I want to gain any more than I have to! So - thanks for all of your answers! I'll just continue eating when I want -- but watching what I eat. :)
    preggoandfat

Answer by preggoandfat at 4:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2009