IS TV BAD FOR BABY?

my son loves to watch disney movies but i cant help feeling this is a bad move on my part.....

nikalotta20

Asked by nikalotta20 at 1:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I do not think excessive tv is good a hour a day is fine for a baby in short 15 min. spurts! Babies can read!!!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 1:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• As long as my dd isn't sitting in front of it all day long, I don't mind her watching it. She loves Disney movies too.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Not all day..but they actually recently did a study on babies that watched and didn't watch TV before they were 2 and by the time they were 3 there was no difference. My baby likes Noggin but only for about 20 minutes at a time. I won't put her in front of anything fast moving b/c I think that just messes with their attention span. But a few minutes a day won't hurt anything.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• my DD is 9 months & we watch imagination movers & blues clues almost every day. not back to back, but she will sit there & laugh. she really loves the songs & is learning from the shows.

so long as she isnt sitting there watching it ALL day w/ no outside interaction, then i wouldnt be worried about it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My dd watches the news and baby einstein, maybe some disney or something but she loves the news. Other than that we play or she plays by heself
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 2:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• studies show that kids who watch baby movies tend to be further behind other kids. I think this is because parents use tv as a baby sitter. If you do as the movie says and watch it with your child and talk about the movie and point out objects, it's the same as reading a book. TV in the background has also shown to slow development in that baby/toddler gets distracted and will stop playing with their toys for a second b/c of something they heard then move to something else.

But again, if you are using it more as a book and interacting with your child along with the tv, then it's good.
    Anonymous

• I think the previous comments were all good. I think there are some very useful TV shows out there, like Baby Einstein. I also think that TV is what you make of it... are you singing along with your baby, pointing out colors, etc? Or are you using it as a babysitter?
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Children need to be interactive and experience reality not be entertained. Television has been proved to put the brain in the mode of utter stupidity. Really, when you watch television your brain literally barely functions, it is like a state of stupor. That is why people love it, it's like a drug. It can be used to educate and inform in small doses but overall is better off ..... left off~
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 11:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It won't hurt if she also plays and does other things and itsn't only watching allday everyday. When my son was little, he loved Toy Story. He was also above and beyond developmentally. He would actually sit and watch the whole thing sometimes. He also would watch Titanic. He still will and he is 13. He isn't behind at all and is still ahead.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:59 PM on Mar. 23, 2009