for those of you who are fixed...(also posted in babies)

im getting ready to sign the paper work next week..im 36wks...now that im actually gonna sign paper work, im getting nervous about it...how did you mentally prepare yourself that after this surgery, you'll never be able to have children again?? how was your experience w the actual surgery and afterwards? how long were you in pain for?

tnteaton

Asked by tnteaton at 2:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I had it done during my last Csection. I didn't think I'd notice since it was done at the same time, but it was a lot more painful. There are several ways of doing it -- from tieing off, to cutting, to burning. Burning is irreversible.... but tieing off & cutting can sometimes be reversed in the future... so if there is the slightest doubt, make sure of which procedure your dr. will perform.

One thing I HIGHLY recommend you look into before making a final decision is PTLS (Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome). It is real... it's not fun... and I wish someone had told me about it prior.

G'luck.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I also had it done during my last c-section. Sometimes it's hard to accept that it's final... some days I wonder what if we had just one more but I know 3 is enough for us. And it's been over a year now and I'm just now really getting to the point that I trust it. Even with a tubal, I would sit and worry about getting pregnant.

I've never really read up on PTLS myself, but I will say that it's taken my body a lot longer to go back to normal than with my previous children. I bled for 12 solid weeks after the baby was born, I would have a period every two weeks for a few months and still have breakthrough bleeding.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I had it done after my last c-section and it was easier recovery than my first c-section (I only had 2). I do have slightly different periods - heavier, etc. but I was often on the pill before so I think that is more the difference.

The decision itself wasn't hard. I have three children (15, 3 and 1), I'm turning 40 this year, DH is 52. I was very sure I didn't want anymore children and I definitely didn't want to be on the pill forever. I did read about PTLS, as well as did other research on tubal side effects. I know some of the problems are related to the air pumped into the abdominal cavity, something that isn't done when done as part of a c-secion.
    dottieanna29

Answer by dottieanna29 at 3:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I had it done 13 years ago after my 3rd child. The recovery time was about a week for me. It was semi- painful, mind you I was a single mom @ the time with 2 other lil ones running around. I also had it done hours after giving birth to my son. Now I find myself wishing that I was able to have another child. I have even thought about the procedure to reverse the tubal ligation. I was really young when I made the decision to do it & @ the time it was the best option for me.
    Me2dznb

Answer by Me2dznb at 9:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2009