Not really fun, just no good category

My SIL was diagnosed with cancer this week. They did surgery and found it had spread far worse than they thought from the initial tests. She's in her late 40's. She's giving serious consideration to not seeking chemo for a variety of reasons, the expense, it might not help and just be more painful, if it doesn't work it could be harder for her kids to watch. The prognosis is not good, but I know another cancer survivor who has come back from a stage IV diagnosis 2 years ago, so it's not impossible. I don't think I could let it go. I think I would try even though it would hurt. Would you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If she is ready to let go then that is great for her. I don't know if I could make that hear wrenching decision. I would stand by her and be strong for her even though it will be difficult, but it is what she wants.
    coala

Answer by coala at 2:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I would definately give it a shot. I know nothing is guaranteed, but why not at least try?
    Anonymous

• OH my, I am so sorry. That has to be a horrible decision to make.

I would probably base my decision on the others who love me, how would it effect them. Would it be better for them to see me fight and lose or fight and win, or relax and enjoy my time.

Terrible decision, I will say a quick prayer for her.

At my age with a child 5 and 3, I would FIGHT so hard so I could finish raising my kids. How old are her kids?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• How old are her kids?

(OP) 14 & 18.
    Anonymous

• I honestly can't say which way I would go but I can see how she would react that way. I had an aunt that had stage IV liver cancer. She chose to fight with chemo and all the treatments she could get. She had a miserable end of life. She was sick, couldn't eat, was too weak most days to enjoy her family. It was sad when she passed but I think it would have been easier to deal with if she hadn't been so sick before. She was a tough lady but the treatment destroyed her, and in the end we lost her.

Now her kid are adults and that might change my decision, but I think I would rather let go and die with some dignity than the way my aunt went.

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 2:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I'm so sorry about your SIL. I'd try anything to get better but then again I wouldn't know only if I was in her situation.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 3:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I think that's a decision that only she and her immediate family can make. Some people would feel cheated if their loved one didn't do everything available to get better. Some people would rather not drag out the inevitable. Its a sad, sad situation and I wish everyone the peace of mind and courage to make it through. I'm not sure what I would do. If someone told me I had 6 months to live and wouldn't be really sick for 3 months OR I could do chemo and stretch it out to a year, but be sick all the time... I would not do chemo. I believe in quality of days, not quantity.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2009