Can a decaying tooth/cavity not abscessed cause low grade fever?

My denisit says it can't unless its abcessed but my nurse at my family doctor swears it can.
I have a total of 4 cavitys.
I think a few may be decayed but not 100 percent sure
the way dentist talks he can fix them with fillings would this give me a fever?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Health

• Yes it absolutely can! I think your dentist is saying it can't so that if you run a low fever you jump to abscess and run to get it fixed. A fever can be caused by any infection and not all infections are abscesses. IMO if a tooth can abscess then you are best to have it pulled. Once an abscess is present a cavity (empty space in this case) can form in your sinus (upper) and jaw (lower). When that happens they can become prone to future infections. I would be happy to send you a picture of what happened when one of my teeth abscessed.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 3:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I think it can too.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yes.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• As a dental assistant I can tell you that even if the decay is not that bad, you can get a low-grade fever. Try not to put off the fillings, if you can.
    Peggy1984

Answer by Peggy1984 at 6:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2009