should i make a big deal out of this?

okay so my neighbor was over yesterday, hes like 35 and im only 20.. he's been a good friend of our family for pretty much my whole life. well yeah so my son was kind of acting out, and kept telling me no. and just as i was about to get up and punish him.. my neighbor picked up my son and put him in time out without asking me or anything. i wasn't really sure what to do, should i make a big deal out of this?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 2:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That kind of stuff is strange to me, you are the parent you get to decide when and where or even if he does time out. I wouldnt make a big deal about it, I just think its strange behavior.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 2:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yes. You need to let him know that is you place as his parent and your responsibility and in the future you would appreciate it if he would not grab your child and put him/her in time out. That's a litttle strange and I would be careful what's he gonna do next time spank your child?
    Anonymous

• yeah i know it's a little strange. and he keeps telling me i should hit my child when he misbehaves. but the harshest thing i will ever do is give my son a smack on the hand. my neighbor is an incredibly smart man, he doesn't have any mental disabilities or anything because im sure thats what it sounds like to everyone. i just didn't really know what to do.
    exxOHjackie

Answer by exxOHjackie at 3:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I would just nicely say "thank you for trying to help me but I really would would like to be the one to punish my son my self'. Just be nice about it. It sounds like he was trying to be helpful but it is not his place and he needs to know that.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 3:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• In my experience the smarter the person the stranger they can be with "general" social knowledge.

Like they have the book smarts but dont know what to do around people as much. My uncle is like that.

That is kind of how I am picturing him right now.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 3:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yes. You are the parent, it is your job to do the disciplining. I have male friends who for some reason think it is okay to discipline my son, they are so wrong.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 3:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• He may have thought that he was helping, I know that sometimes with friends kids it is hard to watch the mom struggle, I have stepped in a few times (and vice versa) but don't really mean to step on thier toes. I would let it go this time but if it happens again then say what joleensboys said.

I wouldn't read a lot into it.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 6:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2009