does smoking one cigarette effect my breast milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know the specific answer, but I do know that it is better for a baby whose mother is a smoker to be breastfed then to be formula fed. Of course, it's best to not smoke at all, but if you do, make sure you wash your hands and preferably change your shirt before picking up/touching baby after a cig.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yes. The nicotine will be in your breast milk. Not good for your baby.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 3:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• When you smoke it takes 90 minutes for the nicotine to filter out of the breastmilk.
    It's not a good idea to smoke, there are still other negative effects.
    With my first, I took up smoking again after she was several months old. I made sure that i didn't nurse her for 90 minutes after I had smoked and I changed my shirt and washed up too before holding her. Yea. it was a hassle, but she didn't deserve to be exposed to it.

Thankfully, I've finally quit for good.
    WillDoDa

Answer by WillDoDa at 3:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yep. But it's still better for the baby than formula. It won't have much effect.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 4:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Like tyrelsmom said, yes, but it is still better than formula. Check out http://www.llli.org/FAQ/smoking.html

"If a mother smokes cigarettes, her baby can still enjoy the benefits of breastfeeding. But the more cigarettes a mother smokes, the greater the health risks for both her and her baby- whether he is breastfed or bottle-fed. " ""The risks of not breastfeeding are greater to the baby than the risks of breastfeeding and smoking."

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• sure does. It is better for you to smoke immedietly after feeding baby. And it is better to smoke and breastfeed than it is to feed your baby formula.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Oh yeah...let's expose the baby to nicotine and other poisons from their breastmilk than to have no added poisons with their formula.

Oh, that makes so much sense.
    Anonymous

• Yes, there's all kinds of crap in cigarettes that gets in your milk and can affect your baby, not to mention that a baby living in a house with a smoker is horrible, even if you don't smoke near them, the residue lingers on your body when you hold your baby. Even a trace of second hand smoke or residue can lead to respiratory problems. My husband's family smoked and he has such bad asthma and allergies he can barely breath without a machine at night. Don't start your child's life off that way. Do something un-selfish for once and stop smoking.
    Anonymous

• Don't start your child's life off that way. Do something un-selfish for once and stop smoking.
    Anonymous

• This is the most stupid question. And the person asking it is a mother. YOU ARE FEEDING YOUR CHILD NICOTINE.
    Anonymous