Abeka Program/Website (homeschooling issue)

Okay. I am thoroughly overwhelmed! I am contemplating starting to use the Abeka curriculum for my Kindergartener and 2nd Grader.
Up until now, I have just been using a hodge-podge of various workbooks and other teaching aides. But when I went to Abeka's website, I don't know if it's just that I am completely brain-fried right now, but I can't figure out how their programs work. On their online catalog, it shows a list of items I can buy and their prices. Some items say "optional". Okay. My question: If I buy the Children's Kit and Parent's Kit for each grade level that I need (K & 2), will that come w/everything I need to teach my child except for the optional items? OR do I need to buy the kits PLUS each of the items listed? Argh! What do I do? I don't know for sure if I want to use them, but I would def. love more info! Also, does anybody have a pic of one of Abeka's lesson plans, so that I can see how it's regimented?

PiggyBug

Asked by PiggyBug at 3:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sorry, I can't tell you anything about Abeka, but I wanted to respond and tell you I have used Calvert's homeschooling program and it's so wonderful.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Really? Do they offer a Christian-based curriculum, as does Abeka? I've never heard of Calvert's..... TY for your reply! : ) I will look into Calvert's! Thanks again!
    PiggyBug

Answer by PiggyBug at 6:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I don't know but have you tried contacting them with your question?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Abeka is a great Curriculum I've used a bit of it and known many who only used their material. I used "Christian Liberty" kits myself, they are Bible based and more affordable, nowhere near as confusing. We loved them! We used Saxon Math as well, it is the best!
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 11:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I don't have experience with Abeka but a friend uses it for her two children and gets a lot of her stuff off ebay. My daughter used Calvert in third and fourth grade through an online charter school, which was good. This year she is doing Scott Foresman and Macmillan/McGraw-Hill. Next year we will be doing the K12 program. We decided to switch to that because the subjects are integrated into each other.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 23, 2009