Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)


I KNOW that I owe them $!!! I TRIED to give them what I could and they wouldnt take it, just what they wanted me to give!! I got Served with Papers by the Sherriffs Office, I am trying to see what I can do, but if I cannot do anything will I end up in Jail or what?? HELP!!

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

Answers (16)
  • No you can't go to jail. They will win their suit and your wages can be garnished. They will get their money.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • never heard of a creadit card company sueing before. they usually turn it into collections.... Im sorry but I have no advice for you! if they wouldnt take what you offered then you might have a case there.... see what can come from that.... contact a lawyer.

    Answer by soonmommyof3 at 3:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • the best way 2 deal w/them is 2 b compliant & civil. i found that the more u argue w/them the worse things r 4 yrself in the end. just tell them that u woul like 2 set up a minimum payment plan even if it's only a dallor. all they want is some akcnowlegment. really. most will help u all they can.

    Answer by justtrned30 at 3:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • I got one of those before, I wouldn't be alarmed if i were you. Just call them to make payment arrangements or tell them that your unable to pay right now and give them a reason. They are just trying to get you to pay them. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • credit cards: maybe empty your bank account into a safe in case??

    Answer by americansugar80 at 3:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • Being I dont work will they "attack" on my husband who can hardly keep us afloat? I am gonna again ask them If I can pay like 5-10.oo a month... We e SO FAR behind on ALL of our Credit cards.. and it was NOT dumb spending it was for School Clothes,Food, ect.... I just feel like an ASS!! Times are so tough, I need meds just to make it thru the day!! ( doc Prescribed that is!) We are looking into a DEBT Relief place FO SHO! THANk YOU ALL for not being Rude to me!! :o)

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • Ok, couple things - are you both on the account or just your husband? If your name is the only one there, they can't go after his income by garnishment. However, if you have a joint account in both names, there are ways they can try to get attachment on the account. It's expensive and a lot of work on their end, so not likely that they would, but it can be done. As far as jail, the only way that happens is if you skip your court date 3 times, you can't go to jail just for having a debt, only for contempt by not showing up. Here's the good news - legal depts want money coming in, and as long as it's coming in, they'll usually be more flexible than when the acct was open. Be careful of debt relief services - the company is not legally required to work with them, and they only help if they get a cut. The cc company can tell debt relief to pound sand if they want, so watch how much $ debt relief wants in the deal.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 4:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • Just reread that - need to clarify - if only your name is on the credit card, they can't go after his paycheck, but, if both of your names are on your bank account, there are expensive red-tape ways they can try to get money out of that bank account after his check goes in.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 4:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • I was told too that I could file an injuction cuz they are after me for 3x's the amount owed.. I am from PA and this place is from NJ, and I found this info too from the Law Pa law 42 Pa.C.S. Section 8128 Makes it unlawful for a creditor to bring an action against a Pa resident in another state or transfer claim to another state for the purpose of using that states less than favorable exemptions or wage attachment rules ect on the claim..

    That made me feel better too! Whewwww... BUT I WILL pay them something just cannot afford A LOT at this time, but I will make an attempt!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • You also need to read the terms of service on the credit card... some of them once you have missed so many payments have pretty much right to do anything, hike the % up to whatever, sue you, garnish wages, etc. Some states they do not have the right to do this. So be sure to read what they can legally do.

    Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.