Entertaining a newborn?

This is really embarassing but I have no idea how to keep my little one entertained during the times he is awake and alert. He is only 10 days old and Im starting to feel a little guilty that all I do is hold him or lay him down and talk to him. Is there anything else I can do to stimulate his mind? What did you all do for your newborns? Will it be easier when he starts tummy time once his stump falls off?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Aw, honey, you just need to relax and be a new mommy. Snuggling and holding, rocking, feeding is exactly what you should be doing! You're doing great!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I don't do anything but talk to my baby and hold/wear him. That's all they really need. I also don't push tummy time until the baby wants to. I never have and it's never been a problem. My babies always screamed early on with tummy time.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• At that age they really don't need any extra stimulation. Everything is so new to them, they're constantly stimulated by the most mundane things. That's why they sleep so much I don't worry about stimulation until a little older.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 4:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My baby is 2 weeks and 2 days old. She is content when i sit and hold her and talk to her. At this age they like to be held and talked to, eat and sleep!
    LilStar9905

Answer by LilStar9905 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Holding and talking is exactly the stimulation that babies need for the first few months!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I dont do much with my newborn. She seems pretty content just looking around. For a change of pace, I walk her around the house and change her position, or sit with her outside. Giving them 'tummy time' helps them progress. You can stimulate them with toys or lights, but my daughter seems happy watching TV with me and watching me eat lol. You are doing just fine, Im sure.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 5:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• you might try classical music and some pastel colors in his crib, i personally dont prefer classical but ive heard great things that have to do with the babys mind and supposedly makes them smarter i havent done much research on it but i do know any music can stimulate a childs mind no matter what the age, but yeah thats pretty much all they do at that age man i wish we could take it back to those days sometimes lol
    mikeysmom1989

Answer by mikeysmom1989 at 5:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2009