Can someone explain LDS to me?

I just moved to Utah and I'm curious about LDS. I've heard horror stories of them harrassing people, trying to "recruit" them and I've also heard if your not LDS, they're rude to you and don't allow your children to socialize with one another. Can someone please seperate the myths from reality for me please. Thanks.

muensters_ma

Asked by muensters_ma at 4:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• yes they are people who think mormons (which is the same as lds)are bad people or who label one persons actions and say we are all that way. we don't recruit anyone we try to convert you and the missionaries can sometimes get caught up in their beliefs and their own state of needing to have someone have the same joy and gifts that they feel they have with the gospel that they live in their lives so they try to keep getting at you. it's best to just be upfront if your not interested but if you are then let them guide you and pray about things. i say don't let what people say influence your feelings towards people of that faith. thats short sighted and ignorant to say all lds's are that way. our proper religious name is the church of jesus christ of latter day saints. mormons was used by enemies cause of the book of mormon who was a prophet. some lds prefer that their children have friends of the same values and beliefs system.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• therefore i think some people say it's that they won't let their children play with them etc. some people do which is wrong but we are human. i have always wanted my kids to have friends of the same standards to avoid having friends who make wrong choices or are lead away to do bad things but i have never been strict on that and most if not all my kids friends are non members but i try to tell my kids to be examples to them. to set the standard and to show them the values that all people should have of not smoking, drinking, sex before marriage any traditional values that seem to be lacking now days. i had bad friends and got into trouble so it's true when birds of a feather flock together. just be nice and hopefully you'll see that what some people say is not true.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• they arent bad im married to one and his family is amazing and everyone i met had no problem that i grew up catholic . i know people can just be plain mean and rude and there are alot of bull rumors about them . im not going to lie yes there are some that are like that that dont like you if your not mormon but that would be true in any religion people get way in to it and full of themselves . my gradparents are perfect examples of stubborn catholics . they hate my husband .
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• If you want some information on the Latter Day Saints (Mormon church) you can find a ton at Joseph Campbell's website Always Be Ready and at CARM .

You can save these websites into your favorites, so you can use them to get info on any religion question you might have. I use them all the time.

Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:25 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I wanted to add that although I don't live in Utah, and I am not a mormon myself. I have found that mormons are very nice people. I don't agree with their theology, but I love talking to them when they come to my door.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 5:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• This is not true any of it. You will find the socially elite of the crowd. You know the ones that have more or the ones who were born in the church but htye are very few and I have found them in other churches. No one is rude and they go out of their way to help you. They are the friendliest people in the world. There moral standerds are very high. SO they may seem a little square to someone that is not used to the restrictions.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• another website that you can check is lds.org
    Anonymous

• As a non-mormon who grew up in Utah, what you have heard about Mormons not allowing their children to play with non-Mormons is true. Very, very, very, true. I had friends who weren't allowed to sleep over because my parents drank coffee. One time a neighbor saw a bottle of wine in our fridge and told everyone at school the next day. That was a pretty bad day. Funny thing is, none of my brothers and sisters ever drank, had sex, or got into any trouble in high school. We were all honor roll students with plenty of extra curricular activities. There was no reason (besides the difference in religion) that would cause other parents to ban their kids from our house.

Currently we live in Utah. But our daughter is only 21 months. If we stayed in Utah, I wouldn't raise her outside of SLC or Park City. Where the ratio of Mormons to non-Mormons is a little closer.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 11:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It's very sad to hear that some LDS behave this way. I can say a few things about it. One is that during a time when EVERYONE was less tolerant, this was probably way more common than it is now. The other is that people everywhere try to protect their kids at the expense of their own morality. In an attempt to protect their kids from evil coffee (which kind of makes me laugh) they are being judgmental which is really a big time no-no. I am really sorry you had this experience because I would say that most LDS are not like this.

A few very good websites are www.LDS.org and www.mormon.org These sites can answer a lot of questions that you may have. You can also ask any LDS neighbor that you have become friends with. Unless they are newer converts and really don't know, most people are going to be very friendly and willing to ask questions.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 9:30 PM on Mar. 22, 2009