DD cheeks are bright red

My DD will be 4 months old next week. Her cheeks are bright red, she doesn't have a fever and isn't sun burned, any idea what it could be?

Chloesmom1126

Asked by Chloesmom1126 at 4:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Teething? My kids cheeks got pretty red when they were teething, I would try to check out her gums.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 4:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• She is teething, but I've never seen a childs cheeks turn bright red...

Someone mentions fifth disease...should I be worried? I'm a first time mother and a worry wart.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My first guess would be reaction to your detergent.

Answer by Bmat at 4:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I would say teething, why dont you try some tylenol to see if that may help... is she cranky? are her cheeks hot? My DD's cheeks always got bright red when she was teething. sometimes one cheek sometimes both.
    Anonymous

• Yes, teeth. Is she fussy? Give her something cold to chew on.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• my son was 8 months he was eating a wide variety of foods, and he had the redness on his cheeks as well, it would come and go,so my grandmother and i decided he may have an allergy, his pediatrician insisted that it was exema and that it would go away, we still felt like it may be allergies and took him to get tested and it turned out he was allergic to peanuts and treenuts, and that repeated exposure would increase his chances of having a fatal reaction, some children grow out of it some dont, what kind of redness is it?(mikeys looked like a rash that sometimes almost looked like mild blisters) how many food categories has little one been introduced to? hope this helps : ) keep in mind that getting DD tested if you dont have insurance can be expensive- but it was def worth it for us
    mikeysmom1989

Answer by mikeysmom1989 at 5:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Could be fifth's disease, it's pretty common this time of year. You'll know if a "lacy" rash appears on her arms/legs.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 5:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• my dd;s cheeks did that it was because she was teething/excited and wound up. I put her down for a nap in a onesie and socks and she was fine.
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 5:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I'd say teething cheeks. My son's got that way and stayed bright red until his first teeth came in several months later
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• yeah,fifth's.my son had it
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2009