My doctor just told me that my blood birth defects test came back "slightly abnormal" what would you think in this situation or what have you done?

I just got a phone call from my Dr. and he says that I have a slightly abnormal outcome to my blood birth defects tests. He suggests that I get further tests to be the most prepared for any situation(like spinal bifida) that might arise.My question is to the women who had the same events in their lives and has had their children (with whatever defects) and I ask for their advise in moral..Also I ask the women who have terminated pregnancies because of such tests, how are the doing now with their decision?

Ms.Becca

Asked by Ms.Becca at 4:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I have never been in this situation, I have always refused to take the test because I knew it would not change my mind either way.
    In your case I would suggest further testing if you are comfortable with that. There is a margin for error with any test and you could give birth to a perfectly healthy baby.
    I wish you the best of luck in your situation, and I hope that you can make peace with whatever decision that you have to make.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 4:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Is this the AFP or APF test that you are referring to? I opted not to have that test because my midwife said it isn't that accurate and I don't want an amnio so really it would just end up making me worried. My SIL's friend did do the test and it came back positive or whatever and she didn't have any further testing done and their baby was fine. Unless my baby has some sort of condition where he/she is going to die shortly after birth, I would not consider abortion an option and being that we have no family history of anything like that, I'm not going to worry about it. I hope everything works out well for you and your baby is born healthy.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 5:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• When I tested with my second, it was a 1/10 for Trisomy 18, a fatal chromosome disorder. We were urged to terminate but did not and was full aware of what could happen. These babies usually don't make it to birth, some do live for a few days/weeks/months. We decided to carry and let God decide the outcome. We lost our little girl at 29 1/2 weeks, she was stillborn and we had a c/s. As hard as it was to lose a child, I am happy that she passed away naturally and close to me. She was not forced out with modern, disgusting technology. It was hard but it changed our lives for the better... through that my Husband and I have a new undertsanding of life and the love for each toehr that we have now is so strong. It's been a year and I still would never change that choice we made. If I did choose to terminate, I couldn't imagine the possibilities b/c doctors CAN be wrong and I've heard of that far too often. Just hang in there.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 5:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I wish you the best of luck
    AshJoe05

• i never have been in the situation but i want to say this. Does it truly matter to you? yes we all want a happy heallthy baby and i get that but in the end i truly believe you will love that child regardless of the defects.
    now with that said the blood work can be wrong and usually is. I chose not to have the blood work done simply because it wouldnt have changed my mind of my child. I wouldnt terminate and i wouldnt love him any less.
    Take a deep breath and relize god only gives you what you can handle. Good luck and god bless.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 6:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• mine came back abnormal at first also... it turned out that the dr just ordered the test too soon. I would go through further testing if I were you. I ended up finding out that my baby is perfectly healthy.
    I've also had friends that had abnormal testings all the way thru their pregnancies and ended up with healthy babies. So, unless they can show you a defect on an ultrasound, I wouldn't make up your mind on terminating. One of my best friends has a son with down syndrome. He is just as wonderful to have around as any other kid we know... if not more. We all learn new things every day because of him.
    best of luck.
    emmetsmom09

Answer by emmetsmom09 at 9:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I can remember getting the abnormal test results from my doctors assistant by phone and being really upset...we had a high protein read which meant possible downs syndrome...we opted for the amniocentesis and found out everything was normal and we had a girl on the way.......my daughter is 10 years old and has autism but there are no prenatal test for that..she is just wired different, shes actually a pretty smart kid......
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 12:43 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Im in a situation like yours right now but mine was first noticed by ultrasound at 16 weeks when i went to find out the sex of the baby . Then they done the blood test and it was high my baby has Anencephaly and they told me she will not live are that she may even be stillborn and they told me abortion is different in this situation, but i think if i where to abort im not even giving her a chance. God works miracles everyday. I wish you and your family the best.
    mary83

Answer by mary83 at 8:44 PM on Apr. 1, 2009