My 12 yr. old DD has a "boyfriend"

She tells me everything which I think is great and she met him in school and they are in the same class. They eat lunch together so that is what makes him her boyfriend.
so.. I let my DD go on a parental supervised "date" with this boy (they went to dinner and his sisters dance recital) My husband and I discussed it and decided to let her go. Did we do the wrong thing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• No way.. I've realized from talking to my step-daughter about boys.. that a boyfriend is no different really than just a friend. Maybe just holding hands is the difference. She's 13 now and still hasn't even kissed a boy, but has had several "boyfriends". She's never been on a date before, but just because her parents won't let her.. If I was her real mom.. I'd let her go on a supervised date. People say alot of bad things, but if your daughter tells you so much that she HAS a boyfriend, she's probably going to tell you the rest of the stuff too. If she hid it.. thats when i'd worry. I think you did a god job! And I think parental supervised dates are age appropriate..
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 5:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Thank you MJ. you made me feel better.
    Anonymous

• No, you did fine. My first thought was HELL NO!! Lock her up. LOL!! I have a 12 yr old boy and he is banned from dating until he is 16, I don't even want to hear the word girlfriend from his mouth until then.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• lol you made me laugh girl its fine as far as you can trust her and set rules you did a good thing
    FIVEHAPPYHEARTS

Answer by FIVEHAPPYHEARTS at 11:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Just today we went to a B.D. party at the park and my 12 year olds BF went They were holding hands and I thought it was cute. They are in different grades at school so they dont see each other except at lunch and in the halls.m
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 7:10 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• You are an excellent mom. You did the right thing. OMG my 11 year old son has a girlfriend so he says and I tell him not to do anything he shouldn't. I'm scared because he knows about sex and I mean he's the boy but what if the girl wants to do what she shouldn't. Can you write me. You have the opposite. I don't know. It's scary now a days. I met her and her mom. Nice enough people but still. As a mother we are all weary. Right? I saw a movie on Lifetime once when these kids were 15 and she seduced the boy and he did it and she got pregnant. The boy's parents adopted the baby because their son couldn't be away from it. The boy looked like my son. I was crying. O.K. I know this is long. Thank you.
    sweetmom1007

Answer by sweetmom1007 at 8:15 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I think you did the right thing as long as you have or will talk to her about sex. I didn't start dating til I was this age too and I also got my first kiss too lol anyways jus be careful/cautious. Especially now that she's dating because she's still your lil girl regardless that she's dating now.
    Native_Mommy253

Answer by Native_Mommy253 at 5:58 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• no way. I think you did the right thing. you want her to keep coming to you and talking, you have to also let her grow up and find out who she is. she will makes mistakes and get hurt along the way, but I plan to be like my mom, the one safe haven in all the crazy stuff that happens when you are growing up.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 11:24 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• It sounds completely age-appropriate! Kids learn so much about themselves and others as they go through these experiences!
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:10 AM on Mar. 24, 2009