C/S moms, what can I do to not be SO nervous going into surgery?

This will be my third c/s... however, my first was an emergency after 38 hours of labor and my son getting stuck, I was put to sleep. My second was a stillborn and I chose to be put to sleep with her as well.. This time I have to be awake and I'm really nervous about surgery and the spinal. What can I do? How bad is it?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 5:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You just need to relax. My first was an emergency as well, and I was awake through the whole thing..I had already had my epidural. You will feel some pulling when they are taking the baby out, but it will NOT HURT. My anesthesiologist sat by my head and told me that if it hurt, I needed to tell them and they are prepared to give you more numbing medication. 
    They will have to starp your arms down because your normal reaction is to reach down when you feel anything, but you are not allowed to move..do not let this scare you.  They will also put up a tarp across your abdomen so that you can not see what is going on, you will only be able to feel it.

When is your C-Section?  I am scheduled to have one on the 17th of April...PM me if you want any more info.

hugs

NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 5:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I cried when the lady was going to put in the needle and I kept saying I dont want to do this, take me home, she will come on her own. But medical reasons we had to do it. Its not that bad. I was numb for about 12 hours afterwards. Just be calm and think of the beauiful baby you are going to have afterwards
    Anonymous

• Oh and they didnt strap my arms down either!
    Anonymous

• oh i so feel ur pain! im goin to have my 5th c/s in june and im just as nervous as if it was the 1st time! lol- with all of mines i would go in and fold and refold the babys take home clothes and remind myself that this is going to be over in a jif! and everytime negative thoughts went into my head i would push them away by humming a lullaby- and just remind urself that everything is gonna go by really fast and once u hear ur babys cries ull forget about everything else thats going on! and it usually takes about 15 minutes from the first incision for the doc to pull the baby out! lol- so no worries! good luck!
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 6:18 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Thanks everyone!! My c/s is friday!!! OMG 6 days!
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• You will be fine! I was soo worried about my emergency c-section, but it wasn't a bad experience at all. They had Christmas music playing & it just meant that I got to see my son that much sooner! Plus I don't even have a scar, can't say the same for stretch marks though haha
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2009