How do I quit my job and get them to give me a good referral?

I need to give a good enough excuse WHY I'm quitting, but I'm afraid they'll give me a bad review or future employers will look down on any reason why I'd quit. If I say I'm having trouble at home it looks like I can't handle life's challenges, if I say I'd like to focus on getting my grades up it looks like I can't multi-task. So why am I quiting this go nowhere job that pays pennies at almost 5 months pregnant?

anna_ny

Asked by anna_ny at 6:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• You dont have to give a reason, just your two week notice, say its personal, or for family time etc. No need to go into negative reasons, that's if you want to give a reason.
    krubalc

Answer by krubalc at 6:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Give a two weeks notice
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 6:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Legally, all an employer can say in a reference is whether or not they would hire you back. They cannot give any specifics. However, you can list a million and seven things under reason for leaving on an application that won't look badly on you or reflect a negative image. You can list personal, will discuss in interview. Then when you are face to face with someone you can explain that they pay was not competitive. So long as the new company pays more than the old company, you should be fine.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• As crappy as this sounds you need to suck up and tell your boss for "future References" you would like a reference on your performance at work so far so you can keep it at home in your "work File', it may sound crappy but I would try that BEFOR I said anything about quiting that job,,, cover yourself first. Let me know if that worked.
    momindistress08

Answer by momindistress08 at 7:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I agree with giving your 2 weeks notice is good enough for them to give youa good referral!! However, If you are interested in finding something doesn't require a referral. I would love to share what I do! visit my page to see what I love to do and you can too...if you have any further questions, please let me know!!
    WicklessMom247

Answer by WicklessMom247 at 9:34 PM on Mar. 22, 2009