This is for co-sleepers.....

So here's the thing. My DD will be 7 months old soon and I would like to start transitioning into her own crib for reasons that I have. My question is what is a good way to do it? and I don't believe in CIO by the way....so please don't suggest that. And I am also BFing...If you did the transition did you wait til you were done BFing?? How long did it take you to transition??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when he was just a few months old I'd rock my son to sleep then lay him in the crib asleep. I gradually (over 3 months) put him down more and more awake, and now he nurses until very sleepy then goes down in his crib almost fully awake and last night slept from 8pm to 745 am without a peep! He's almost 9mos old, and I would have loved to cosleep but he seemed to sleep much deeper and longer in his crib... I like the no cry sleep solution book I think it gives good ideas for transitioning your baby. good luck and just keep doing what works best for you and your baby.
    JeniF

Answer by JeniF at 11:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i ddi it till my dd was about 8 months. i transitioned her to the crib by lettin her fall asleep with me and then putting her in the crib and rubbin her bakk. it worked well and now i lay her i the crib and she goes to sleep. shes 18 months. shell probly wake up a lil more often but they get used to it. co sleepin scared me because i didnt wanna kick her off the bed or role over on her so i stopped. i started by layin her on her tummy tho and when i did that i roled up a blanket and put it on her butt lik it was my arm. that helped alot too. good luck!
    xhellxfirex495

Answer by xhellxfirex495 at 6:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I would suggest you do it soon, because when the baby starts crawling, if she hasnt already there is so much risk in co sleeping. I found out the hard way when my DD CRAWLED off the side of the bed... thank god my bed is very close the ground.
    Anonymous

• my DD isnt even close to crawling yet...but I just want to start the transition before she gets much older.
    Anonymous

• i co slept with my daughter until she was about a year old, then i put her big girl bed (she calls it the big girl bed) into my room, and she wanted to sleep in it, she wouldnt go to sleep in my bed, or with me holding her, she just wanted to be in her big girl bed and she sleeps there every night now.
    armywife142

Answer by armywife142 at 7:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My son and I co slept until he was about a year old. He transitioned easily though, I think due in part to him having a crib that he napped in at day care. I never really had a problem with him crying over it so I don't know how I would handle that.  I would suggest placing his crib/play pen in your room and laying in your bed with him until he got sleepy and then placing him in where he would be sleeping.  Take it slowly and gradually move his bed further towards the door and eventually to his own room.  Baby monitors are always nice, especially if you're not doing CIO.  HTH mama and good luck!!!

Aidans_Mom915

Answer by Aidans_Mom915 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• We co-slept with the baby in the bed until he was 4 months, and then started transitioning him to crib. I would nurse him down to sleep, then burp him and rock him in my arms for awhile, placing him in the crib pretty soundly asleep. In the first couple of weeks, if he woke up and cried because he was alone in the crib, we'd go to him and soothe him right away...rub his back, pick him up and rock him, etc. Eventually he was less prone to waking and crying after being laid down. And over time, as he got used to being in his crib, we didn't have to get him so soundly asleep before putting him down.

These days (9.5 months) we nurse or bottle-feed him, burp him, hold him for 2-3 minutes and lay him in his crib. He usually rolls to his side or onto his belly and goes right to sleep. He sleeps well in his crib, and I certainly sleep better without him in our bed.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Geez, my son was in school before I really attempted to kick him out of the bed. Then, it was easy. I just said, your too big for my bed, how about one of your own. He was like, ok.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:35 PM on Mar. 23, 2009