Common question, but I'd still like some advise from you moms!

Ok, rice cereal, is it too soon? My son is 3 & 1/2 months old & eating 8oz every 5/6 hours. Lately when he finishes his bottle he cries for more. I was wondering, since the bottle only goes to 9oz anyway, if I could start giving him rice cereal? He's a very healthy boy, just growing quick & very long (26in at last check up) so he needs a lot of food. When did you first give your baby rice cereal, & how did you go about doing it?

ours

Asked by ours at 6:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my first was 4 weeks I couldn't wait to give it to her, but what new mom can right? Well she didn't take up to it I was giving her baby food at 8 weeks because again I couldn't wait and she didn't really like it then once she was able to start baby food she still wouldn't eat it she was on table food at 10 months old because she would not eat baby food. My second I waited until she was about 8 weeks for cereal and she liked it then the baby good I waited until she was almost 6 months and she ate babyfood with no problem. Although your lil one is nearly 4 months old and they say you can start around 4 to 6 months so I don't see why it would hurt to try and if he simply doesn't like it you can always try again in a couple weeks. Just don't force if they don't want it.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Ok thanks I will give it a try! He's such a good eater & really doesn't mind any change so I'm sure he'll be good with it. :] I didn't mean to post this twice by the way haha.
    ours

Answer by ours at 6:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• LOL I didn't notice you posting it twice. And you are very welcome
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 6:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• 4 months is a good time to start. One type of food at at a time and little at a time, you have be careful for allergies.
    They are not missing out, they do not know what we eat or drink.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• One food at a time for three or four days, start slowly. On the box, there is a recommendation for a weak cereal mix for the first time feedings. We started the day she turned 4 months.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 7:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I personally think it's too soon, and it's against current recommendations. Formula or breastmilk is what baby needs until at least 4 months... Calorie per calorie it's more nutritious and has the fats they need at that age. Not just for gaining weight, but for brain development, etc. I guess you're almost to 4 months, so do what you want. Is every 5-6 hours common for formula fed babies? It sounds so far apart, but I have a 6 month-old who nurses about every 90 minutes, obviously not 8 oz at a time. In your place, though, I would wait till your 4 month appt.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• We started rice cereal a few days before my son turned 4 months. He was eating about the same about we guessed (breastfed and bottle fed when I was gone) He was taking 32-38 oz in a day so his pediatrician gave us the Ok to start. But they really are too young to start lots of foods... so if you start rice stick with just that for at least a month. My pediatrician said if you start foods before 6 months it should be 1 cereal (rice for us) 1 fruit and 1 vege and stick with just those until they are 6 months. We took his advice.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• 4 mo for cereal,6mo for veggies as long as they have no allergies
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2009