is anyones dog aggressive?

If so over what, how do you adjust the behavior? Do you have children and what ages? How old is your dog? Who was there first dog or child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Pets

• First off, if you have a pet, dog or cat, and you have children, you should teach the children, not the pet. As a former employee of the AZ Humane Society, and having been a Vet Tech as well as a Behavior Evaluator, I can tell you, aggression is a learned behavior.
    Too often, pet owners make the mistake of keeping the pet away from a new baby, not a good idea.
    Based on your question, I am reading that you may be pregnant? If so, set up the nursery, a month or so before Jr. arrives, and allow the pet carte blanche of the room. Don't shoo the pet away, just because there is going to be a little one soon. When the baby comes home, put the baby in a safety seat and set it on the floor. You sit with it, and introduce the new one to the pet.
    If you have older children (that is 1yr to teen) teach them that a pet feels pain when their ears are tugged on, and does not deserve to be mistreated. Your pet is your child.
    kodaNmickeysMom

Answer by kodaNmickeysMom at 6:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i have a 2 1/2 yr old, a 3 1/2 yr old, 9 months preggo and an 8 month old pit/american bull dog mix...im not gonna say she's aggressive but she aggresively barks at what ever comes near my house and then wants to play when people are in our house after she sniffs them out. only one other family comes to my home so, i say she just lacks people skills. she's never bit nor attempted to..just a mean bark. and im definately not keeping my newest addition away from her..that could create jealousy..especially since my husband is her 'person'
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 8:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• see my dog is only aggressive toward my other dogs going near her food and if shes sleeping she growls if you bother or lay on her and its starting to make me nervous. she low growled..like a get the heck off me growl at DD today when she was sleeping and DD crawled on her and i dont know what to do. she is 14 mos and dd is 9 mos
    Anonymous

• you need to emediately correct her. for No reason should your dog growl at anyone. you should have constantly stuck your hands in her food when she would eat when you first got her and you should have constantly messed w her when she sleeps ..i would still do it and definately have consequenses when she does it..your babys are about to get bit by this dog at any time now and then you're gonna have to get rid of her and i know you probably dont want to go that route.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• We had 3 dogs when I was pregnant w/DS. Our youngest, the frenchie in my pic, was aggressive towards my oldest, a beagle. They were basically fighting to be alpha dog. I had a professional come before the baby was born to help me address the issue because I wanted it fixed before my baby came. We worked on basic training skills and just knowing the doggie psychology going on helped. We had all of the baby's things set up well in advance so they were used to seeing them. The day before we brought DS home, my DH a receiving blanket in the their crate so they could start to learn his scent. We had a easy transition, fortunately. The aggression between the dogs is not an issue anymore since my beagle passed. :-( But I have the tools to handle out frenchie when she has a diva moment.
    crazydogchick

Answer by crazydogchick at 11:12 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I had my dog before my daughter. My dog knew that I was pregnant, and she knew that I was in labor. She was nervous that I wasn't home for a couple of days and unsure of the new thing that I had with me, but I let her see the baby and smell her. They are best friends. The only time she'd growl is when she was sleeping and my daughter wanted to play. So I told my daughter that we don't play with the dog while she is sleeping, and I told the dog we do not growl at the baby. If she pulls on her tail, I stop her. It really depends on the moment. The dog KNOWS that my daughter holds rank, and my daughter loves the dog and doesn't want to hurt her. My daughter has a very natural way with animals, even at 2 so I think that also helps. Some children want to pull on the ears to hurt the animal, my daughter gives the dog kisses on her ears. I think you have to teach both the child and the animal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Oh yea, I forgot to mention, the only time she's agressive is if she feels like she needs to protect my daughter or me (shs just barks) and that happens usually when my husband isn't home.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:11 AM on Mar. 23, 2009