red cheeks

my 6 month old son has one large red circle on each cheek- like a permanent blush. But they're also a little dry and the tiniest bit peeling (its not possible that its sunburn.) What could it be a sign of?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• it could be slap cheek...? i know a couple of people with this condition, and it is not detrimental at all, it just leaves the cheeks looking permanently red. of course as i cannot see your son currently and as i am not a doctor or dermatologist anyway, i can't tell exactly, but that is what it sounds like.
    Zezette

Answer by Zezette at 6:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Eczema very common.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 7:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• When i first saw red cheeks i thought maybe teething cause teething can cause their cheeks to break out put since you said it is dry i think maybe eczema. My son has eczema and has little dry patches. but i am not sure what slap cheek looks like.
    8firsttimemom8

Answer by 8firsttimemom8 at 7:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Wind burn maybe
    My dd was born with red cheeks and now when she gets too hot or is sick her cheeks turn bright red
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 7:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Does he have a lacey rash on his body at all? I know Fifth's disease is going around. It could be that.
    RileysMommy1004

Answer by RileysMommy1004 at 8:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I was thinking fifths disease too. My kids have exzema and they never looked red. If it looks like he was slapped, is lacy looking and gets worde when he's warm I'd think fifths.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:54 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My son's are like that too... started when he started teething. We use nipple cream on them and Eucerin lotion and it helps alot. Some days it's worse than others. Now that his first teeth came though they look MUCH better... but we will see if they get worse again with more teerth.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• my daughter gets a bad rash on her cheeks. they always look read and a litlte peely. we got some samples fromthe doc that work great. aquaphore and hydrocorotizone cream didn't help. But try those first.
    Anonymous

• maybe ketertois plariarsis rubia? not sure how to spell it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:19 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• Fifth's disease or slap disease is usually not something you see in kids that are not of preschool age. If your baby is 6 months old she is most likely drooling especially in her sleep and then sleeping in the "puddles" and is chaffed. My son was like that for quite awhile...actually well into his toddler years. It would come and go. I would just put chap stick on his cheeks especially before bed and it would clear right up. It is dry in the winter which makes matters worse. Is she getting enough fluids? Check with your doc to make sure something more serious isn't going on but I think she will be ok.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:17 AM on Mar. 26, 2009