Why can't Hubby be in there for prep for my c/s?

I think this is so upsetting.... How can I get a spinal without him! I'll be a wreck as it is and I'm so used to him being there through everything.... How did you guys do during prep?

AshJoe05

Asked by AshJoe05 at 7:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• the prep for mine seemed like 3-5 min to me lol it was really like 10 i think but i did fine... i just laid there... i did just fine for the few minutes i was without him.. and he did fine too we were both just anxious.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Mine was an emergency cs so I was in extreme pain from my contractions so I didn't really care who was in there. lol. I just needed the spinal right away! It was super quick though and they gave me a pillow to hold on tight to. Also, there was a nurse there hugging me and talking me though it. She helped a lot and was very comforting. I hope that you can get a nurse like her too. You'll be ok.. as soon as their done, he can run right in. Good luck!
    alaiynasmommy

Answer by alaiynasmommy at 7:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I was on the verge of tears, I was so upset & it definitely didn't help that my husband couldn't be in there with me. :[ I was fortunate to have a sweetheart for a nurse though & she held my hand & made me feel much better about the whole thing. They let him in RIGHT after though, so you won't be without him for more than a few minutes.

Be happy though chick! You get to meet your baby soon!!
    ours

Answer by ours at 7:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• oh the nurses that were in there were EXTREMELY comforting to me as well so i felt better, they kept talking to me etc it was nice
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Despite what they tell you, you DO have the right to make decisions on these things. You just have to stand your ground. What are they going to do? Drag you kicking and screaming into the OR w/o him and hold you down? Doubtful.

I was told over & over that I HAD to have an epidural for my Csections ----- I stood my ground. I opted for general anesthesia for all 3. They then told me my husband wouldn't be allowed in the OR if I was asleep... I pitched a fit over that, too --- and they finally relented. Although... I didn't need to throw that one LOL... turns out he didn't want to go in after all.

So... if it's important for you that he be there..... make it so!
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I didn't realize they wouldn't let him be in there for the prep. --Dh was in the room when i had my epidural with dd--So why would this be any different?
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 7:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• they wont let them be in there for the prep because its in the operating room and its a surgical procedure
    Anonymous

• They have to maintain a sterile field. He needs to stay out of the way and behind the blue field. Just so you know, he won't be allowed to cut the cord either. Again they need to keep things sterile so you don't end up with an infection. It's nothing personal. But you can pitch a fit if you like. I just prefer to follow their rules for my own personal safety. They are in place for a reason.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:05 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• he will be able to cut the cord he just won't be able to cut from you. The doctor will do that but leave enough for your husband to cut it while the nurses are cleaning the baby up.
    Anonymous