Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

calling all teachers!!

i want to become an elementary teacher but, i can not actually go to physically go to college due to a lot of kids still in the home that are not yet school aged them selves. are there any teachers that got there teachers certificates online? any information would be great. ps i live in Utah if that helps any.


Asked by mrssundin at 7:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

Level 19 (6,722 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • I agree with anon is sooo hard right now. It also depends on what state you live in.  But, as for a degree there are options if you have a degree already. If not, you need to get a plan of work. You could take online courses through your college to start--usually the basic classes, but you will have to do a lot of the work on campus, in a classroom. For example: I can take community college courses online, and then transfer them (be careful that they do transfer) to the 4 year college and continue there. You should have student teaching and I had to also do two 45 hour placements before the actual student teaching for reading and elementary psych. Good luck!!


    Answer by Teachermom01 at 10:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • Why don't you post your question in groups? You will get much better information then from politics section. Or join the group for teacher .


    Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • Do you have a 4 year college degree? If you do, you would have to check your school department's requirements (website) to either figure out what courses you can transfer in to a teacher's certification program. To my knowledge there are no legitimate online teacher certification programs. At minimum you would be required to be a student teacher for at least 6 weeks full time in an actual classroom setting under the observation of teaching instructor, not to mention the background checks, fingerprinting, etc.

    With a 4 year degree you COULD be a substitute teacher K-12, but you would need to attend a training session and background checks including several interviews. For obvious reasons schools don't just hire anyone off the street without performing intense background checks--including custodial staff!

    If you have a 2 year degree or high school diploma, you MIGHT be able to work as an Aide--roughly $8-10/hour.

    Answer by LoriKeet at 7:59 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

  • I know this isn't what you trying to hear but, teaching is probly not the best thing to try and get in to especially the way things are now. My mom has been teaching for 11 years and she works harder than any one else I know and makes almost half the pay. and now here they are trying to cut the teachers pay and she is loosing her night job that she needs because her regular teaching job dosen't pay enough. Don't want to try and bring you down on what you want to do. Just want to let you know that it's a hard job to get by on. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

    My mom has also had to take more college courses, and more testing just to keep her job.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:23 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

  • Try Western Governors University. It is located in Utah but it is complete online with the exception of a 40 hours of observation (which can be done by video) and your student teaching (10-16 weeks depending on your state). If you have no college credits then it would take you about 4 years before you would even need to do your student teaching. This program has a lot of writing that is required, more than most brick and mortar colleges. One word of advice though. I would get my degree in Science, Math, or Special Education. In my area there are no jobs for teaching and our college has 30 grads from last year with no job and about 70 grads this year who will not be able to find a job. So right now the supply is bigger than the demand.

    Answer by JeremysMom at 5:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009