Happy Ostara!!!!!!

Those who are celebrating can you tell everyone more about it?
Also if you are of any other religion is there a holiday coming up and can you tell us all about it, ok, maybe not all but as much as you can?

BeaMoore

Asked by BeaMoore at 7:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Ostara is celebrated on the day of the Spring Equinox which was March 20th this yr...
    here is some reading behind Ostara...
     Keep in mind this is a link for reading about this Sabbath, each pagan celebrates this day in their own way...
    http://www.vinland.org/heathen/mt/ostara.html

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 7:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• We keep it pretty low key. Kid is in an I-hate-green stage, so had to settle on some carrots for him. Doing a short blot tonight, and then tomorrow we're all going to the Lake and just breathe for a while. I do his basket on Christian Easter so he doesn't have to explain to the rest of the kids why the Easter bunny shows up at his house a month early. We have some jelly beans and Robin Eggs in a dish for now.

Like gma said, a lot of it varies by person - I stick to Saturday observances, so whichever Saturday is closest, except for a few really important ones. When the kid is older, I want to do eggs the way it's described in that article - blowing them and doing detail decorating - and teaching him about how is great grandparents and great greats did it. For now we just stick to Paas and a crayon.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• You decorate the hollow eggs? Awesome!!!! We do that in Poland, if you ever have a chance check out the word "pisanki", that's Polish for decorated eggs. I remember doing that when I was little.
    BeaMoore

Answer by BeaMoore at 8:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

•  This yr was simple... next yr gs and I are going to start a week early and make ostara eggs out of blown out egg shells and plaster (keep sakes) 
    We do a basket on easter but there is no Christian version or point to it... it's from the Easter bunny and from grandma and grandpa... the Easter bunny isn't going to last much longer tho... *whine* he's growing up to fast...lol...
     But as Notpanicking pointed out as our gs grows each yr I will teach him more and more of Ostara ...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Happy Ostra!!!

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Happy Ostra!!!

honestly we are so sick around here that we aren't doing anything this year...

**Sadness**

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Happy Ostra!! Happy Spring! .. that's all that's left this month. lol. That I know of. I don't celebrate either myself. ..
    I do have a family members birthday coming up though. lol. thank you for making me look. I would have forgotten to get her a card, since it's in the beginning of the month....
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:05 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• We spent the day outside planting in the garden. We will save the eggs for Easter (for the grandparents). SS is "christian" and though he is only 10 seems to already display a distaste for anything non-christian. Honestly I don't think the kid even gets his own religion, but it is what his mom is teaching him and he worships her, so there you have it. We think he got kinda butt hurt because DH and I watched religulous (sp?) last night and the cover of the DVD offended him so he stayed in his room. Whatever. He wanted to spend his time outside yesterday shooting with a BB gun. So DH, DD, and I did spring stuff and let SS do his own thing. We aren't going to dare push anything on him at this point, we'd rather see him figure stuff out for himself, if he even does. But we had a nice time outside and the weather was awesome!
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 1:13 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• we took a nature walk ,worked in the flower bed and talked about why this day was special to us wiccans

rona503

Answer by rona503 at 3:41 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Happy Ostara to those who celebrate!
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 7:55 AM on Mar. 22, 2009