How do you feel about open adoptions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Not to sure what an open adoptions is... is that where you meet the new parents and they meet you and you stay in touch?
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 7:57 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I gave 2 children for open adoption to the same family. It was the best way for me because I got to know the couple and there family and I was able to answer questions for the boys if they had any.
    Paradys

Answer by Paradys at 8:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I have an open adoption and think it is wonderful. My daughter is able to know who I am and still be raised in a loving environment. I was in no place to raise a child by myself at 17 years of age, so I am so grateful to her a-family for giving her the home I desperately wanted to give her myself. My little girl will always know who I am, and I will be able to answer any and all of her questions. And I know she is being raised in a good home, so it works alllllll around.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I think open adoptions are wonderful and I wish my children's birthmother had chosen an open adoption so they could know her.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 9:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I think when they are truly open they can work well, BUT open adoptions are NOT enforceable and too many times the adoption is closed with no warning and no avaliable recourse for the birthmother.
    Anonymous

• I would not have an open adoption. I was adopted and hated that it was an open one. I wanted nothing to do with my egg or sperm donor. I was grateful they allowed my mom and dad to give me the wonderful life I had but felt nothing for them. The pressure was enormous and I requested the visits stop. I have not seen them since and my life has been much better for it.
    Anonymous