frozen fruit?

Is frozen fruit a good option? My son eats so much of it, its getting expensive to buy it fresh and to buy the graduates. (he's 14months)

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:00 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Not sure about froazen, but most of the time frozen is just as good as fresh because it is packed at the peak of freshness. Also canned fruit with no added stuff and in natural juices are really good too.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I feed my son frozen fruit....it's just like regular when defrosted
    Anonymous

• ok thanks ladies. I noticed that the canned fruits all have syrup though....if not syrup it had sugar or "splenda" am i just not seeing the good canned stuff?
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• As long as it doesn't have junk added, like preservatives, color, corn syrup, and that kind of stuff, frozen and canned are very healthy.  I've read articles that say frozen and canned fruits and vegetables are more nutritious than what you buy fresh at a regular grocery store.  It was explained that from the time they are harvested to the time they are canned or frozen is very short vs. the week to 10 days it takes most things to get to the produce isle at the grocery store.  Each day after harvest, nutrients are lost.  It made sense to me and we do 90% frozen, all natural, organic fruits and vegetables.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I never buy canned foods if I can help it. Frozen is always cheaper *for me* and I find it to taste healthier. Since it is getting warm, you may want to check out your local farmers market. And sometimes you can pick your own fruits for cheaper than what you would pay at the grocers *and its a great way to get LO out of the house*

One of my favorite things is to blend frozen fruits (my faves are mango and strawberries) with french vanilla yogurt. It makes a great healthy smoothie that DD and I both love :~) I do end up adding a bit of milk to hers to thin it out.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• oh smoothies! i like that idea. My son was getting red bumps kind of like welts with any dairy but today i tried it again and he only got a couple red spots, with half a cup of milk. Do you think yogurt would be okay to try now? He would love to help through in the fruit when making smoothies, he's so hands on
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 8:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2009