ok long story short my daughter is 9 (10 in june).. she had a bloody discharge (according to my mom who just told me 3 days later).. how long does it normally take for a girl to start her period??? could this be the start of it?? "(

beccan

Asked by beccan at 8:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• i started my period the day after my 10th birthday. My cousin, who is also my best friend, she started hers 3 months before we turned 10 (our birthday's are the same week). It could very well be the beginning of it. Good Luck mama.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 8:06 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I started mine at 9. I actually started puberty around 7, my mom said that's when I started growing dark hair on my body and such (I don't really remember).
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• girls are starting early now a days ( must be in the water ) my sd started at 9. and my dd age 11 is getting ready ( crampy, bloated ) i heard a girl was 8 and stared. so i talked to my dd about it when she was 7 lol. so just sit down with dd and talk to her and let her know that she can come to you, good luck mama xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• we have had "the talk" "( already... but i'm so hurt no one told me about this till 3 days later. she knows she can come to me w/ ANYthing but she went to my mom instead!! i hope when she does start she comes to me i want to know when my baby becomes a young lady :(
    beccan

Answer by beccan at 8:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• The dr told my friend that girls usually start shortly after they get pubic hair. I started at 11 yrs old but nowadays, it seems like more girls are starting earlier.
    Kiyiasmawmaw

Answer by Kiyiasmawmaw at 8:33 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• it's not in the water, it;s in the hormones in the milk and meat that you feed your kids...one more reason to go veg and organic, and make sure the dairy you do use is from hormone free cows....
    shivasgirl

Answer by shivasgirl at 8:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• When I was little we were taught that it is totally normal for little girls to start as early as 9yrs old. It just wasnt as common.

It can take a couple days. I think when it begins its more spotty.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 9:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Emily started hers in 4th grade. I did too and so did my mom and sister. If you got your early, daughters follow. She started to develop breasts also. It was hard because she was way ahead of all her friends. I made it special for her by having women's day. We went to lunch where she wanted to go and had a special day. Now in 8th grade all her friends are in the "women's club" It can be very light and not come every month in the beginning. I am not sure there is proof from drinking milk but I only use organic foods anyway. Maybe she went to your mom because us moms can make a big thing out of it and they don't think that is good idea. My daughter still won't buy products in the store, I have to and I had a hysterectomy so it's funny. She's growing up.
    doll2660

Answer by doll2660 at 12:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I started at 9. As one of the moms already said, due to hormones in our milk and meats girls are hitting puberty ealier. Lots of girls are starting at 8 now and a couple have started at 7. At least thats what the news broadcast said a year ago. I would sit down with her and remind again her that she can come to you for anything.
    valerie0103

Answer by valerie0103 at 8:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My daughter age 12, just started her dot (thats what they call it now lol) about 4 months ago. She has had pubic hair for a couple of years now. Her first cycle wasn't spotting it was a dark brown heavy discharge for 5 days. I did notice that her breasts were growing bigger before she started. To respond to the other post about milk and hormones. It has been proven to be a fact so I do encourage my daughter to drink milk so she wont be as flat chested as I am.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2009