What do YOU think is the biggest contributor to child hood obesity & over weight children?

The faap says the most over weight toddlers & children don't necessarily eat more than their healthy weight counterparts. The difference is in the types of foods children eat. One article I read said that in a study on 3 & 4 year old children the over weight children consumed more fruit juice, sweets, fast food and white starches while also consuming less green veggies & less fruits in general.

However, the majority of health organizations agree that portions are extremely out of control here in America for both adults & toddlers. America is the LEADER in percentage of OBESE people in the world!!!

Has this effected your family or someone you know? If it did effect your child what do you think is the appropriate step to take to correct the problem?

I think this is an important subject for us, mommies, to talk about!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it is parents keeping trash in the house and asking them what they want for a snack rather than giving them the "this fruit or that fruit" choice
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 8:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I agree with jhj4ever. It really is all about what we offer them right from the get go. If all you have is wheat bread right from the start, they will probably not want the white bread that is just all carbs. And fruit juice is not necessary if they are eating the fruit they should be eating. And if you give them the choice of french fries over a side salad or fruit bowl, what do you think they will choose. Heck, I'm old enough to know better and I would choose the fries in a weak moment.
    VBeachMommy

Answer by VBeachMommy at 8:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• The dang parents, it's they fault they child unhealthy.
    Anonymous

• ease of high calorie high fat convience foods and lack of activities.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Parents number 1
    Fast food industries targeting children with fun toys number 2
    Lack of exercise due to schools cutting it out, and video games, computers, tv...number 3
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Parents are definitely to blame...BUT, they need more education as well. Overweight parents who eat unhealthy food will feed the same food to their children if they just don't know any better. But school cafeterias are a HUGE problem. When I was in highschool (which was only about 8 years ago) all the food they had in the caf was nasty; burgers, pizza, nachos, fries. My mom works for the school district and she says it's still the same. You can pack a kid a healthy lunch all day long and it won't matter if they're buying crud at school. Also like the PP said, many schools don't even require gym anymore and they're also doing away with recess.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 8:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My kids eat junk food, pop and fattening food alot (not all the time but enough). The difference is they get off their butts and run it off.

I seen the most pitful thing today at baseball practice. A boy was fat. There is no way to sugar coat it he is obese as a child. He maybe close to my weight which is scary because I am considered overweight/obese for my height and weight. Anyway the boy did nothing but lay down and say his legs hurt. Damn of course his legs hurt he is carrying an extra 100-150 lbs in addition to what he should way. That is why many health problems go away when people lose weight. It is 100% the parents fault because I would have made my child get off their butt and play.
    Anonymous

• Parents are responsible for 80-90% of the food choices their children have. They are also responsible for encouraging good habits, like exercise and eating well. Parents don't have to take their kids out for fast food, they don't have to buy junk food. They can take them out for walks or bicycle rides and sign the kids up for sports.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Over indulgence by parents and even well meaning parents who give their kids juice which they sip on all day. Juice is natures soda pop and is not necessary at all if children are getting fresh fruits and vegetables. Parents are responsible for giving children healthy foods. Giving them a choice is fine but why not remove all unacceptable choices? For example..."Do you want apple slices or mandarin oranges with your lunch?" instead of "do you want, apple slices, cheetos, cookies or gummy bears with your lunch?".
    TessaBianca

Answer by TessaBianca at 9:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Parents need to feed their kids healthy foods. Chips, McDonald's, cookies, soda and candy are not necessary. My son never eats unhealthy foods and is a very happy child. He has a balanced and happy diet which helps with his behavior and how he does in school. He is fit and is never sick. Parents are fully in control of what their kids eat and if they have an obese child should be ashamed of themselves.

Anonymous