how do yau handle the terrible twos

my 18 month is bad she is so mean help

MAMAJENNIFER

Asked by MAMAJENNIFER at 8:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• GOOD LUCK! i always hear about the terrible 3's and it starts at 2 and just keeps going till there old enough to move out. my son is 3 and has good days and bad. u just have to learn to count and breath. 1.....2.....3....4...5. sorry hun know this isent what u want to hear. xo but cafemom is here for you xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Just remember she will get over this stage. Have fun..Just remember to breath

Answer by louise2 at 8:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• by understanding that they are not intentionally being bad. They are in fact testing to see where their limits are. It is important to be consistent with discipline and mark the boundaries clearly. If they are not to jump on the couch then do not allow it ever. Once the child is secure in knowing where the limits are the behaviors will wane.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• at eighteen months is when i started spanking. not ALL the time, but when things got WAY out of hand thats how i handled it. enough to shock him like wow, i guess thats not a good thing to do. but if your against spanking, try to avoid yelling, and just focus on the good, not the bad, if shes playing nicely and doing what you ask, be OVERLY excited. sounds and looks ridiculous, but it WORKS.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 8:34 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Set limits and stay 100% consistent so she learns was behaviors are not acceptable.  Distract and redirect as much as possible by showing her fun things to do that are safe and acceptable.  I don't believe in spanking for a lot of reasons personally.  If distraction and redirection do not work, and your child throws tantrums, there are times when it is appropriate to walk away let it run its course.  When that cannot be done, I hugged my son tightly and whispered in his ear that he was fine, everything was alright, and told him to calm down.  Both worked for us.

DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 8:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2009