Help my 8 yr old grandson still wets his pants. How do you get him to stop. He doesn't do it all the time but my daughter is getting frustrated. Its not a medical problem had that checked. Anyone know what to do.

My daughter has tried everything short of completly humiliating him in front of people but he still has what we call accidents. He's 8 and he knows when he has to go so how do you get him to stop.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It might by psychological. I would not do the humiliating thing.. It could further damage him. I would suggest therapy, maybe even hypnotherapy... It is very hard on him I am sure.. Please don't humiliate him.
    Anonymous

• Some kids hold it tell they can't any more. Then can't get to the toilet in time..She(MOM) probably needs to retrain him..Start asking him and making him go to the bath room more often. Like every 1 or 2 hours make him go the the bath room. Thats what I would do.

Answer by louise2 at 8:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I agree, there needs to be a high level of accountability on this issue. This child is just way too old for this and it is defiance at the heart! There must be severe punishment each and every time he soils himself until he stops this behavior.
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 10:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• okay they know he does not have a small bladder. Has she tried asking him why? He may be holding it until to late so he needs retraining or maybe there is something psychological -- he may be afraid of something crazy. Has he always had this issue or did it start back up recently? Has there been any changes? Did he have a UTI and it just cleared up (a friend of my son's is having BM accidents b/c he recently had a horrible rash on his bottom and now he's afraid of the bathroom so mom has had to reassure and retrain) And when they checked him did they check for allergies or just small bladder and maybe UTI?
    Severe punishment is usually not appropiate b/c the child often feels awful about it too. Its embarresing to them also.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:59 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Retrain him & TELL him every hour to use the bathroom. Make him clean himself up AND rinse out his pants & undies. DO NOT DO IT FOR HIM. He needs to take responsibility for his actions.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:55 AM on Mar. 23, 2009

• My daughter had this problem and someone told me to make her go the bathroom every two hours. Even if he doesnt need to go. He will soon get sick of being made to try all the time and will wont to go himself. Tell him that he eather goes when he needs to or he will be forsed to try ever two hours. With her it was just that she didnt wont to stop what she was doing. Good Luck!
    Sara722

Answer by Sara722 at 8:13 PM on Apr. 24, 2009