Potty Training at bed time? How do I get him to stop going at night?

My son will be 4 yrs old in July. He is 100% potty trained during the day, but I still have to put diapers on him @ night. I stop giving liquids 2hrs before bed-time, but he still wets himself (to the point of being soaked when he wakes up). He doesn't get up at night to potty, he sleeps through the night w/o waking. How do I get him to stop wetting at night?

bookay

Asked by bookay at 8:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When you find out let me know. My four year old is so anti-get up and pee at night it isn't funny. I had to put him back in pull-ups at night just to washing his sheets everyday...maybe he's growing and his bladder hasn't caught up yet. Maybe he's just a really hard sleeper.
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 11:24 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• We invented the "bedtime fairy" If in the morning they are dry they get a letter from the bedtime fairy saying they did a good job and got a point for each letter to "cash in" at the end of the month with one point being small candy and 30 points being a trip to there favorite restaurant or park etc... good luck it worked great for us
    jhj4ever

Answer by jhj4ever at 8:36 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Well I would say start with stopping the diapers. He'll wake himself up from being wet, whether its after he tinkles or he goes all the way. That was the only thing that worked for my son. Its a bit of a pain on your part. You can get a plastic mattress cover for less than 10 dollars usually and just have a clean set of sheets in his room and have him help change the sheets. My son is almost 3 1/2 and has been changing is sheets for about a year, so he can do it even tho he'll probably say he doesn't want to or can't. Get him a rag and have him wipe off the mattress cover before putting clean sheets on. Another thing I did, I would wake my son up when I went to bed and have him use the bathroom. Some times he would tinkle, sometimes I'd be surprised at how much his little bladder could hold!

Good luck!
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 8:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I had to wake my son up in the middle of the night for a while until he got the hang of it. Also some kids have a bed wetting problem until they are older. I know of some people that didn't stop wetting the bed until they were 10 to 14 years old.

moodish

Answer by moodish at 9:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I think its pretty normal that the night bladder hasn't caught up yet. Do the liquids, do the waking up at night and then well -- patience. My daughter is almost 4 and she still wets at night too. I don't make a super big deal of it. I tried the putting her on the toilet at night -- but she never actually went in the toilet just cried so I decided to wait a while. When she wets she is responsible for taking the sheets off and putting them in the hamper etc. And that's it. (I think pull ups SUCK for night time -- reg. diapers hold more urine)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 12:14 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Just accept that you have a bed-wetter. There is nothing wrong with that. Some kids just sleep too soundly to wake up. Putting him in underwear at night will NOT make a difference. Waking him in the middle of the night to pee (if you can even wake him) will just make him tired in the morning. Just buy him some pull-ups and wait it out.
    I have/had 2 bed wetters. Our pediatrician said it was absolutely normal for kids, especially boys, to wet the bed until they are 8 years old and wouldn't look into other causes until then.
    My son is 7 1/2 and still wets the bed once a week but stopped wearing pull-ups last summer. He is so sound asleep at night he can completely soak himself from his knees to his chest and will sleep like that all night long without ever waking up.
    My 6yo daughter also wets the bed but still wears a pull-up. She is impossible to wake once she is asleep. We're just waiting for her to grow out of it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:16 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i just dont give my boys liquids after 6 or 7 pm. and take them on a potty break right before bed time, and by right before i mean right before lights out. hope it helps
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 8:25 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my son oldest DS will be 10 in Aug and he STILL pees 3-4 times/week
    while my youngest DS hasnt had accdents in forever
    dita

Answer by dita at 12:00 AM on Mar. 23, 2009