How and when did you take the pacifier away?

How and when did you take the pacifier away? I've got my seven month old down to just "sleepy-time'. How did you do it and when?

VBeachMommy

Asked by VBeachMommy at 8:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We started the same way you did, taking it away during the day and oly having it at nap time and bed time, and then gradually only at night. Then we just stopped giving it to him. But he was alot older, around 2 before we were done, after starting at 18 months. I think it is supposed to be easier the younger that you start, but it will still probably be pretty hard. You just have to stay strong throught the tears..
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 8:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i did it at about twenty months, might seem late to some, but he just would NOT sleep without it. then it killed me but i HAD to let him cry himself to sleep. it took about four days before it worked completely. just take them ALL and throw them OUT. with having none, it works best. it might even be easier for you, because its so young, they dont remember things as long! good luck! hope this helped!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 8:38 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• woah just noticed i said twenty months, i meant twenty SEVEN months. lol sorry about that.
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 8:40 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I went cold turkey with my kids at 6 months.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 8:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• We did it right before 6 months. After losing it during the day, we more or less went cold turkey at night. But we switched up her bedtime routine so that she didn't need it to go down. Instead of me nursing her almost to sleep and then swapping breast for pacifier, we switched it so I nursed her with the lights on, then read to her, then sang a song in the dark and then put her down awake. She did NOT cry it out, she just peacefully talked herself to sleep. And if they don't fall asleep with it, they're much less likely to be looking for it when they wake in the night. I highly recommend doing this... It worked with our first daughter, too...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I think Tony may have been 1 when I took the pacifier. I don't remember him being much older than that. And I did it in spurts. I would take it and hide it. Not like just suddenly pull it out of his mouth, but maybe like while eating or something, I would hide it; and after a while, we noticed he really didn't need it. Good baby
    Rebirth08

Answer by Rebirth08 at 9:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• We have always had an only at bedtime rule but for the past few weeks he's been asking for it all day everyday, it was making me nuts. So I just took it away. I told him he was a big boy and didnt need it anymore. He has actually done pretty well and only asked for it a few times. He's 23 months. I had tried to take it away once before and i did not go well at all.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 9:51 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I'll probably do what my MIL did and just toss it out the window one of these days lol. All joking aside I plan to take my sons away around 12-18 months. He's 7 1/2 months now so he still benefits from sucking. If I were able to breastfeed I probably wouldn't have even offered a pacifier.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 1:01 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My daughter still wanted her dummy/pacifier at three years old so I started putting hot sauce on it in the mornings and then giving it to her and in the after noon whilst she was having lunch I'd put some more on with salt and she soon stopped wanting it
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 4:45 PM on Mar. 22, 2009