Should my daughter be potty trained by now

My daughter is 3 and will be 4 may 12th. She only goes pee when I tell her to. She refuses to go poop in the potty. She always goes in her pants. I have tried everything. Should she be potty trained by now? What should I do to help things along.

amrysmom

Asked by amrysmom at 9:10 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She sounds like she is potty trained and knows where she should go to the toilet but doesnt want to so I think you should take her to a doctor and ask if its normal for her to be doing that or find some fun ways for her to enjoy going to the potty, reward her when she does and she will hopefully soon tell you when she wants to go not having to be told to go potty.
    Mumma07

Answer by Mumma07 at 9:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Type it in under google .... i dealt w/ this w/ my daughter she will be 4 in april...... she always would tell me she forgot...For some children, pooping on the potty is, terrifying. Often times incentives don't work because it is too hard for a child to go from whatever she is comfortable with to using the potty independently. Ask a doctor, read some book.....and google it lol thats what i did and i worked w/ my daughter. Its so frustrating i know but try to keep ur cool!
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 9:20 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I think this is simply a matter of you enforcing what you demand of her. You'll need to sit her on the potty more often for longer periods of time until she finally does poop in the potty. Let her read books, you read to her, what ever but when she finally does go, which should be in a few days of beginning the process, then you would praise and reward her and continue this until she is consistently going on her own. She knows what to do and how to do it, she would rather do what she wants instead, it is just a matter of training her to stop and go~
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 10:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I have that same problem with my son, he will be 4 in June. He knows when he needs to go and will not do it for me. he will go for my family and the babysitter but wants nothing to do with it when it is his father and I.
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 10:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I have had to deal with this with my own kids and with children in my class. My daughter was afraid it would hurt to go because she was sometimes constipated. She would try and hold it, which of course made it worse. Make sure that your daughter feels secure when she sits on the potty. If her feet dangle, put a stool under her feet. If her bottom is falling down through the opening, get a smaller seat to put on top so she can sit and not have to hold herself on. She is peeing when you take her, so continue to ask her frequently so that she is successful. Give her a favorite book to look at or a toy that she only gets when she sits on the potty. Reward her when she goes, maybe one sticker for pee and two for poop. Once she gets a certain number of stickers, she gets a big prize. Lastly, I don't know if she is in regular underwear, but she needs to be. Pull-ups only confuse kids and slow their progress. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 6:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• This might sound crazy but do they wear pull ups, training pants or regular underwear? The only way my mom could get my brother to potty train was to put him in regular underwear. He would just go in the training pants and pull ups. One day she put a pair of regular underwear on him, and he peed his pants once and never did it again because he didn't like the feeling. This was after months of trying to get him to potty train, and he wouldn't even attempt to use the potty. So maybe you could try that if you haven't already.
    happymom0724

Answer by happymom0724 at 9:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My son was terrified of a potty chair we bought him the regular kind and the kind that plays music when you potty. He only wanted to use the big toilet so we bought him one of those toilet rings with the handles
    heavenlypeace

Answer by heavenlypeace at 8:05 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• my son has only been pt for about 8 months , he just turned 4 . i tried everything ,he is not have sugar so that is what his reward was if he went to the potty with out being told or telling me he had to go. he would get 1 m&m for pee and 2 for poo.
    It worked with in a couple weeks.
    dita

Answer by dita at 11:52 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i am sorry i am no help to you....but I am going through the same thing. my son is four and will not poo on the potty. he pees wonderfully. all by himself he doesnt even always tell us, he even wakes up in the night and pees on the toilet!! but will not poo for anything. he just goes in his pants and then tells us "i stink." its horrible
    LadyDahl

Answer by LadyDahl at 2:53 AM on Mar. 23, 2009