How do I break my toddler from biting?

My toddler has been known to bite his baby sister from time to time and we have tried everything we can think of to stop him from doing this. It's been a while since he has bit her so we thought he was over the phase.

Well, I get my baby girl up this morning and get her undressed to give her a bath and she has bite marks all over her back, a few on her sides and one or two on the back of her arms. I just cried my eyes out when I saw that. Her and her brother share a room, they have separate beds. She is in her crib and his bed was converted to a toddler bed which has now (as of today) gone back to being a crib. At night sometimes he would get out of his bed and climb into her bed and sleep in there with her, but this is the first time he has bitten her the way that I saw the marks today.

None of the skin is broke but some marks are so bad they will probably leave bruises.

How do I make him stop?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i always heard biting them back so they know how it feels works.
    Anonymous

• I bit my son one good time and he quit IMMEDIATELY! my son was 3 and he was biting his 1 year old little sister.

I have also heard of spraying their mouth with vinegar, it taste terrible. I never did this though.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• bite them back, i know it sounds horrible but it works. my 3yr old went through the biting stage and i didn't know how to stop it my grandma said to bite him so i did and he immediatly stopped
    Anonymous

• Pluck him in the mouth every time he bites and he won't continue to bite for much longer! Promise!!
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 10:14 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• We tried the biting him back and it's not working. Nothing is. The bites are so bad and all over on her back and all that I am scared to take her to her appt for fear that they will call DFCS on me even though it was her brother that did it. :(
    Anonymous

• You need to tell him off when ever he does this and don't let him climb into bed with his sister and make sure he knows its naughty to bite and when he does give him a time out or something
    Aimee789135

Answer by Aimee789135 at 4:41 PM on Mar. 22, 2009