What kind of education/degree do you need being an administrative assistant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• For some places you do not need a degree at all. For others they will want an Associates Degree. You can also take certification courses for being an Admin Assistant. The local college here offers what they call an AA Academy for 12 weeks. They cover Word, Excel, Keyboarding, desktop publishing and a few other areas.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I would not waste my time on being a Admin Assistant. They do not make money at all. It's also crappy work. Get a BA in Finance instead.
    Anonymous

• Actually it depends on where you work. Federal and state positions as an Admin Assistant start out at around $40,000 per year depending on where you live. Those positions also have full benefits.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 10:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• You do not need a degree to be an Admin. Assitant. You do need skills however! Phone skills, organizational skills, relationships skills and commitment. You can get skills from work experience, online classes, teleclasses and teleworkshops, google ideas, books and reading blogs and then taking the tools and putting them into action in your personal life.

Start your own Virtual Assistant business and utilize all the skills you have learned. It is up to you to create your value and do what your heart desires. A degree is not required and skills are important.

I hope this is helpful for you. Feel free to email me at dreamteam@bealegacy.com

Kimberley
    LegacyKimberley

Answer by LegacyKimberley at 4:26 PM on Mar. 26, 2009

• I am an administrative assistant with an Associates Degree. I make $44,000 plus a year. All of my benefits are paid for by my company. I receive full health (PPO), dental, vision, long term and short term disability, life insurance and matching 401K up to 6%. A degree is not required for an entry level position, but if you would like to become an executive assistant, a degree is required.
    poohsplus3

Answer by poohsplus3 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 24, 2009

• It’s not mandatory to have a four-year college degree to become an administrative assistant. Even a high school graduate with basic office and computer and good typing skills can gain entry-level admin assistant jobs. If you’re serious about your job and wish to climb up the ladder, a certification course will do you good. A number of schools offer such vocational courses. CareerStep offers career training to students who wish to be office administrators or executive assistants. The course is fully online and equips students with the necessary organizational and office techniques required to enter this field.
    veronicawilliam

Answer by veronicawilliam at 4:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2013