can infants have nightmares?

my son, 11 months old, woke up just a moment ago (he went to bed around 730, it's about 930 now), and he screamed, and didnt stop so I checked up on him. He immediately stood up with a gesture of "good you're hear please hold me". I picked him up and rocked on the glider and put a blanket over him, shooshing and quietly humming. He laid his head on my chest and fell asleep while sucking his fingers. The only time he usually wakes at night at all is if he's hungry, but lately for a few weeks He's been sleeping all the way through. Lately many strangers (all to him and some to me) have been cooing him all up in his face. I'm wondering if maybe he had a bad dream and screamed hoping me or daddy would come in, to ease his mind? Like I said he's never done this before. It really made me feel important, like an official mom, and very loved!

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 9:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh definitely! I think babies have them often just like we do and all the more since we are their solace and security. I often do wonder myself what babies think when there are people in their little faces making stupid noises and weird sounds, it has to bother them at some point. And just like adults, children have various personalities so some children may be frightened easier than others or simply annoyed with the invasion of their personal space~ I am glad you were close enough to hear him and rescue him from his thoughts:-) Good job Mom!!

lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 9:48 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i think so! My kids have dreams ...my daughter is three and she wakes up screaming some crazy stuff lol! But my son does that and he is one...... i think they have like dreams of what they seen that day....like strange ppl holding him...
    Armywife510

Answer by Armywife510 at 9:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• my son is almost 5 months...it is SO obvious when he has a bad dream, and it is the most motherly feeling to get to be the one to pick him up and comfort him...
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• my daughter has had them. She will not go back to sleep until I hold her and rock her and bring her to the bed to sleep between dh and I. She has to touch both of us the whole time she sleeps or she wakes up screaming again.
    isra1986

Answer by isra1986 at 10:17 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Talon was in the hospital for a long time after he was born. Had about everything possible stuck in his poor little feet, so he'd wake up screaming and kicking his feet...it was so sad...:(
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:22 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yes they can! My kids started at about 4 months and they still have them. I would make sure he has a "lovey", my daughter has a doll she has had since she was 6 months and my son LOVES blankets. I totally agree with you going in a soothing him, I think that is the best thing for him.
    medicmomof2

Answer by medicmomof2 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I would think so. My baby never really wakes up but he does seem to whimper in his sleep sometimes like he is having a nightmare. So I try to comfort him as best as I can and then he seems fine after a couple minutes.
    MommyRuby2008

Answer by MommyRuby2008 at 11:26 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i think so too. both of my girls at one time or another just scream or cry real loud while they are sleeping. i thought she had woken up and was ready to give her a bottle when i looked at her and she was fast asleep. so whenever they do that we pat them gentle and say its ok and they calm down.
    melissa089

Answer by melissa089 at 12:25 AM on Mar. 22, 2009