What is the best age to tell your kids the truth about santa?

My SO and i were discussing it earlier and we cannot decide on an appropriate age.
When did you tell you kid?

mum-to-be-at-18

Asked by mum-to-be-at-18 at 9:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Why begin lying to them at all??? Teach them the truth and if you want to give them gifts do it out of the love of your heart not to honor some stupid lie. As parents we teach our children not to lie and punish them if and when they do, so what is it teaching a child when their parents knowingly lie to their children in the name of "having fun". Don't all liars have some sort of excuse and is it ever right, No! Tell the truth~ Your children will respect you for it in the long run and you'll make them stronger and more able to stand firm in what is right even when everybody else is doing the opposite.
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 9:56 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I am leaveing it up to my own children to ask me then I will tell them the truth. Until then, let them be a kid and keep on waking up to be surprised by "santa" each year
    SweetKYmom

Answer by SweetKYmom at 9:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It's up to you. One friend has told her boys (ages 2, 6, and 7) that santa and all that jazz is not real all the way out to the easter bunny etc. My kids will obviously learn early from them that he's not real but then again my 11 yr. old brother just really told my parents that santa was not real. So it's not scarring either way just when do you want to take credit for the presents and how long do you want to stay up "playing santa." It's your decision but as long as I can hold on to my girls being kids I am going to. There's not much out there right now for growing kids to look forward to?
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 9:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I have always told my kids Santa isn't real. Why lie to them, so that they can think I do nothing for them.. and Santa deserves all the thanks? Heck no, I want them to appriciate ME on Christmas day when they are opening all those presents.. For some reason though they think I'M the Liar! because they teach the kids in SCHOOL that Santa is real!! it pisses me off!!
    MJ_BN_FE

Answer by MJ_BN_FE at 9:58 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Whats the harm in believing. Kids are kids only once. A little MAGIC is fun and special.

I remember being mystified when I was about 5. It gave me a fluttery excited feeling, why would you want to deny that to your child.

I never cared that my parents "lied" to me. I am glad they made my childhood filled with fun and excitement. I dont think any child says "gee mom I really respect you about the whole Santa fib you didnt let me fall for" Nope dont believe kids reallly care, by the time they are old enough to know, they dont care anymore and just want you to buy some expensive electronics for them.

Loosen up.
    Anonymous

• When my son decides he is not real. Why does it matter the age?
    Anonymous

• NOt sure, but definately not to your 4 year old daugther b/c you're ticked your husband just left you...
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 10:11 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I don't believe in setting an arbitrary age and setting them down to tell them. My kids will be 9, 8, 7 and 3 1/2 this Christmas and I have never said Santa isn't or is real. I imply that there is a person called Santa and wrap gifts from him and all that but I've never come out and said he is real and will never tell them there is no Santa. They can figure it out on their own which usually happens when the child is ready emotionally and mature enough to handle it. For some it could be at 4 for others it might not be until they are 10 or 11.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:21 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Well, i have spoken to my SO and i thought it may be a good idea to not even introduce the idea of sanata and just be honest. After hearing what my 5 year old brother said to my dad and step mum. We arnt fond of the idea.

He had recived a portable dvd player from "father christmas" and so he went to my dad and stepmum and said "where are my presents from you....this is my present from father christmas, where are the ones from you?"

I don't want that.

But, my little brother did run up to a tramp dressed as father christmas and hugged him saying he loved him. The tramp was selling magazines at the time and was quite shocked when this happened. That was funny.
    mum-to-be-at-18

Answer by mum-to-be-at-18 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• To me it doesn't really matter what age you tell a child, everyone is different and has there own opinions. I think its fun to believe in something, and to see there face on xmas day. But that's me!

Ill tell my son whenever I think hes ready, I remember finding out around age 8 or 9 and pretty much everyone else i knew found out around the same time. So maybe around that age.
    NicsMommy29

Answer by NicsMommy29 at 11:03 PM on Mar. 21, 2009