when to change car seats?

my daughter just turned one on st pattys day and she is just about twenty pounds just a few ounces shy of it when do i change her to a front facing car seat i think she is getting to big for her current infant car seat please help...

briannamama

Asked by briannamama at 10:23 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• oh god you are going to get so many rude answers for this one. Shes above the standard limits. You can buy her a convertible carseat and face it towards the back or if you wish you may face her forward. Some moms are going to tell you that you should only face her forwards after 35 pounds but i think thats going overboard
    Anonymous

• get a toddler seat
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• She deffinitely needs to be in a bigger seat now, shes too big for the one she is in. There are many benefits to extended rear facing, you should look into it. My son will be RFing until he is 35lbs, but I'm not going to tell you how to raise your child. You can PM me if want more info though.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:30 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Sounds like it's time to buy a convertible seat. They have seats out now that rearface to 35 pounds! I have the true fit for my son and it's an awesome seat. The cosco scenera is another good one and it's pretty cheap. If you have any questions on seats join the carseat safety group here on cafemom!
    LukesMommy912

Answer by LukesMommy912 at 11:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I agree its time to get a convertable car seat. Both of my kids are long but skinny they were in one when they were tall enought even though they were slightly under the weight and both of them were facing forward on their first birthday.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:57 AM on Mar. 23, 2009