With the price of gas, if it is recommended that your car use premium, do you use premium or the cheapest gas(lower grade)?

Asked by jju at 9:52 AM on Jun. 20, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I use the lowest grade gas I can, but I only buy from two different stations and I only buy gas when I need it not when the price is cheap...

Answer by mars33me at 9:55 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If your driving a BMW or Mercede's BUY the premium...Otherwise the new engines in today's car's can adjust automatically to the cheep gas with no reduction in fuel mileage. Of course if the car knocks after you use cheep gas go back to midgrade. This question was on the world news and 20/20 just 3 weeks ago.

Answer by vbruno at 10:37 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• vbruno is correct! My husband is an auto tech and would tell you the very same thing. Save yourself some money =)

Answer by New2WAHJ at 11:21 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• No edit button - sorry. Also wanted to add, try to fuel up when the weather is cooler , ie: early morning/night. There's less "expansion" in the fuel!

Answer by New2WAHJ at 11:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• If your car's manual says premium is "recommended", you can most likely use a lower grade. If the manual says it's "required", you probably can't.
    How to tell? Buy a tank of the next lower grade. If your car's engine knocks and pings, your car doesn't like that grade. Go to the auto store and buy a bottle octane booster. That will "fix" that tankful of gas and then only buy the higher grade of gas.

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I purchased a vehicle that uses low grade gasoline. Even if i had a car with a recommendation of a higher gas grade, I would use regular gas.

Answer by MotherKali at 12:00 AM on Jul. 23, 2008

• Well I'm not using the premium gas for anything. I know I will be getting a car soon that recommends it. I just think it's a rip-off.

Answer by SylviaNCali at 9:22 PM on Sep. 10, 2008

• My car says premium- I rotate between mid and premium. 75% of the time I use mid and have never had a problem. Ths is my 3rd high end car and I've been doing this same routine for years.

Answer by Sisteract at 8:08 PM on Aug. 8, 2009