Question on spanking.

I always told myself I would never be the one to spank my son.. he is 22 months old and going through the terrible two's. My sons father is not the one to be giving advice since he is not the best parent to his two (5 month apart) children.. if you can understand that one. Since I have been around him he has watched how i raise my son when it comes to discipline and he says he doesnt agree. My son was walking around with his eyes closed, playing like he always does, and i said no open your eyes so you don't get hurt, and his father shouted "MICAH STOP!!" and my baby opened his eyes and started crying.. i felt so bad because he was just trying to play. Sometimes I get so fusterated with my little boy not listening that i give him a few pats on the bottom.. not sometimes when i say micah no dont do that, he will spank himself and go no no. and i feel it may have a harmful effect.. help, another form of effective discipline?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what is your problem?
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I feel that it is having a harmful affect on him and I would like to have some advice on what i should do since he is walking around spanking himself.
    Anonymous

• maybe he is a senstive kid just put him in a corner. I see
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 10:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yeah, one problem with that is that he thinks its funny and he will push me out of the way.. when i try to redirect him he will pull away from me and fight with me. he is almost 2.
    Anonymous

• My son is 23 months. I use LOTS of positive reinforcement and redirection. We talk about what behavior was wrong and WHY and HOW to do better next time. I also use timeout. If he gets up his time starts over.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:52 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• well i guess it depends on the child then. time outs and explanations work well for my son, we like complete sentences at my house.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:19 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• It all depends on the kid. Try using positive reinforcement and see if that helps. LIke when he closes his eyes and starts walking around. Stop him for a second and ask if he would rather play a game with you, or name off another activity you know he will enjoy. This way he stops what he is doing, and you don't have to worry about disciplining him.
    Good luck. PM me and let me know how it works out. My DD is 14 months, but I've been reading a lot about this subject because she is just started to act up.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:08 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• if someone smacks a kid in the face its abuse..on the ass its not abuse? if you hit your kid its abuse ...

timeouts work....KEEP PUTTING THEM BACK...it may take awhile but do it. if you ahve to, get a travel crib and sit them inside of it.

my 2 yr old gets timeouts and verbal corrections like, no, stop doing that, etc. she listens, apologizes, says please and thank you, puts things back if itell her no put that back and if i say noo that was bad , timeout. she goes to her timeout spot on her own now and waits then says sorry and we move on
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2009