Allergies or a cold?

How do I tell?? My 6 month old has a really runny nose (clear mucus) occasionally runs a temp- but she's teething. The Doc said I could give her zyrtec, but I HATE to medicate unless I have to. Help!

828brownie916

Asked by 828brownie916 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Clear fluid is a sign of an allergy. Any other color and they may need antibiotics, and even then its a big maybe. My 4 year old has to take Singulair or she coughs so hard she vomits. But I understand if you don't. Try some Baby Vick's, and ask about using a vaporizer or a waterless vaporizer when she is sleeping. My lil sis was 6 months old when she had her allergy testing. If is gets worse, you might have to look into it. The good thing about doing it this young is that she won't remember it.
    medicmomof2

Answer by medicmomof2 at 10:46 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I say if its clear and she eating and sleeping to let it go. Some babies also get a little runny nose while teething.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:42 PM on Mar. 22, 2009