Potty training @ 15 months? (Urgent!)

Is it too early?
I want to start potty training now. My reason for wanting to start so early?
I want to enroll my DD in a daycare that is for advanced children. She is 15 months now. She can draw a circle, square, rectangle. She can write a few letters. She knows colors if I name them. She is not talking very well yet. But by the time she is 18 months I want to see if she qualifies for this daycare. Only thing is, the only take potty trained children 18 months and up. This is something that I really want for her. So please, if anyone has any tips for early potty training, it would be a great help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've never heard of a daycare not taking kid's that weren't potty trained. Especially since you have to pay for her to go there..
    Anonymous

• Lots of daycares dont take kids that arent potty trained. My son is 23 months and not even close to being potty trained so I dont have any great advice. I think if SHE is ready go for it but if she isn't you should probably hold off a while.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:47 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• How will I know for sure when she is ready? She hates having her diaper changed now, she tries to push me away and wipe herself. She wakes up dry in the morning after sleeping for about 11 hours at night. She is very interested in watching me go potty. Are these signs? I really know nothing about potty training. And to the 1st answer, this isnt just any daycare, its for advanced children. My dd has no intrest in things that most children her age do.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is 16 months old... she started taking off her diaper and she says "poopoo, poopoo" whenever she has a wet or dirty diaper.. I have tried at this age to sit her on her big girl toilet that we bought her, and she will sit there while I'm on the toilet and watch me go, and when I close the lid she'll close her's and flush her toilet when I flush mine.. the point that I am getting at here is I know that you want your daughter to be in the advanced daycare and I really think it's neat how she is ALREADY drawing for you and naming her colors! That is outstanding.. we're not that close w/ our daughter even.. I can't get her to point to her eyes, ears, etc.. but one thing I've always been told is to not rush kids because they will "tell you " in there own way when they're ready.. so maybe watch for signs of her taking off her own diaper and telling you "poopoo" or rubbing at herself when/after she's dirtied her diaper.
    armywife4ever08

Answer by armywife4ever08 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• i'd say if she is trying to do it herself she is ready. waking up dry and being able to dress themselves are other indications. if she likes to watch you try putting her on her potty at the same time. as long as she doesnt get frusterated with it id say go ahead and start.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I dont think it is too early , my friend had her DD FULLY trained at 18 months and i know ther was someone in my family who had ALL of her children trained by a year old because she couldnt afford the diapers and she had 4 children very close in age. If she is interested in you going to the bathroom i would definately say she is ready
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 11:27 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• from the sounds of it she is ready. take her with you, and show her how to go, and give her a chance to do it. Congradulate her even if she doesn't go potty for at least trying.. good luck.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Thank you everyone. I have off from monday-thursday this week. So we shall embark on our potty adventure lol. I bought her a potty today which she was SUPER excited about. She even helped daddy put it together! lol it was cute, especially since she seemed to have a better idea of how it went together than her dad did lol. She was very excited to sit on it. She sat on there for like 20 minutes "reading" her books lol. So starting monday I think I will sit her on the diaperless. Should I keep the potty in the livingroom where she plays most of the day? Or move it upstairs to the bathroom? And when should I buy her training pants? I cant let her pee or poo on the carpet cause this isnt my house so...training pants it is. And which ones have you had the most luck with?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2009