Do you sometimes feel your the only financially responsable person out there?

I'm tired of seeing SOME people layed off and not paying their mortgage yet eating steaks and just blowing money left and right like there's no tomorrow.
What I'm seeing is some people without any concept, of the consqeunces, of their reckless spending behavior.
Then you have the ones who realize that tomorrow looks unsure and should not spend so foolishly.
The charecter of the american people is shifting and it dissapoints me. Where is the ethic? the morals? the idea that to be an american is to be responsable? Sorry for the rambling, I have my reasons to and just needed to get it out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you on this, I recently wrote a blog on here asking how to tell your friends "no to eating out all the time". It seems like all my friends still think that it's "ok" to spend there money foolishly and then they get up my butte wondering why I am not going along with there stupidity. People may resent you for it I have found.. for standing up for what you believe in, and for crying out loud watching tv and the news and seeing just how bad it really is getting w/ the economy. Props to you for being one of the smarter crayons in the box and for not "following the crowd"!!
    armywife4ever08

Answer by armywife4ever08 at 10:49 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• I totally agree with boht of you!
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 10:50 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Yes, because everytime people check our credit (when we bought our home, cars etc) people have outright told us...WOW, usually people SAY their credit is OK but it isn't that great...Yours is great ! LOL.....How horrible is everyone elses??
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:28 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• and PS. I and my hubby are BOTH currently LAID off...and we have NOT skipped out on ANY payments
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:29 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• OH OH I don't feel like I'm the only one but I feel like I'm in the minority here.

I have a friend that I taught to coupon. She has a fiance but since they aren't yet married she gets WIC for her baby (even though he supports her fine) They own a small modest business and they got more money BACK then they paid IN this year! I'm so ticked. Okay so it's not their fault they got money back and all but then they bragged about it!!!

I held out my hand and said "great, can we have it back now? we pay 2000/month in taxes"

They just went on VACATION like two weeks ago - flying out of state.

I AM SO ANGRY.
    Praying

Answer by Praying at 11:35 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Praying, The way I see it people like your friend are part of the problem, You say she got more back than she paid in, and she still gets WIC by not counting her fiance's income... She knows how to work the system, and it's doubtful she will stop at getting extra EIC and WIC. She is screwing you and me and everybody else. All the people that pay taxes and don't need help, and everybody that deserves help and doesn't get it, and everybody that deserves help and doesn't get enough. She is one of the people that makes a bad name for all people getting any assistance, and why you haven't turned her in before this is the only thing that surprises me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Sometimes. But, then again, I also feel like I am the only one using spellcheck, too......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• i am totally with ya on this one... i recently told my dh that i believe the problem with most other ppl is they know they will always have someone else to bail them out... with me... i've always had to be on my own, i was raised by my grandmother and she died when i was 18 so i know that if i fall flat on my face i'm screwed.. i can't move in with mommy and daddy... i can't have my grandparents write me a check to help me out! so i worry and save every chance i get... everyone calls me "cheap" or laughs because i always say "i'm saving for a rainy day" but honestly you HAVE to!
    jessicahall1985

Answer by jessicahall1985 at 3:40 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Hubby and I also have excellent credit scores--never defaulting on mortgage, car or utility payments--even in our single days. We shop smart, spend wisely, and even manage to enjoy ourselves (the "extras")--because we shop smart and spend wisely.

Even though I am primarily a SAHM (just started working part-time for my sanity!), and my husband earns a significant salary, we still cut coupons, belong to a couple of warehouse clubs, buy on sale, and buy only what we need to live comfortably.

That's because we have children with special needs, and need that extra money for various therapies, which are not covered by private insurance. Someday neither of us will be working, and we want to be able to continue to provide for our children, including college, and live comfortably from the savings we have.

We take care of our own, and it frustrates us to no end, those who don't even try or try at every turn to beat the system!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I live in the military community where you see people living way beyond their means and it makes me wonder what their future or their kids future will be like. That being said, I think there's a lot of pressure for younger folks to "keep up with the jonses". It would be nice if this country wasn't so materialistic especially since nothing we buy is made here anymore!

I'm with LoriKeet on doing what we can to save money and spend wisely. I want to retire comfortably and make sure my kids have funds for college.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 10:57 AM on Mar. 22, 2009