can you have alcohol while breastfeeding

shpratt

Asked by shpratt at 11:02 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• beer---and using common sense and drinking moderately will stimulate the milk glands due to the yeast in it.....
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 11:07 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• No way during the 1st trimester. Towards the end they say its ok to have one here and there, not heavy drinking though. You will get lots of different answers to that question, its pretty controversial. My OB said red wine was ok.
    Anonymous

• I am a dumbass..........lol. Breast feeding they say if you are ok to drive then your ok to feed.......ignore above answer........lmao.
    Anonymous

• Yes, as long as you're not getting blotto.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:15 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• What whildkitten said.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 11:31 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• In moderation.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:45 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Most health care professionals will tell you that you may have ONE celebratory drink (meaning one ounce of alcohol in it, not a long island iced tea which has 5 ounces of alcohol lol) and must wait two hours after the drink before BFing.

I personally abstain from alcohol altogether during BFing.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:25 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• one is okay, anything more and I wouldn't.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:56 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• You can buy these test strips at Babies R Us and Walgreens that test the milk for alcohol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Okay, first of all it is NEVER okay to drink while pregnant. Red wine is good for you if you are NOT pregnant. Whoever's OB said that is a moron, or they're lying. Ask any respectable healthcare professional and they'll tell you the same thing. Whatever you drink, the baby drinks and babies shouldn't drink alcohol. Do your research! Anyway, back to the question. I have nursed all 3 of my children and I agree with what "NovemberLove" said. ONE 1 0z. drink every once in a while (not on a regular basis) is okay, but better to stay away altogether because your baby is taking in some alcohol when you nurse. And beer does NOT stimulate milk production - that's an old wives' tale. What stimulates milk production is nursing more often. Sorry if I come across as being brash, but it annoys me when people make up excuses for drinking alcohol when they clearly should stay away from it. It's just pure selfishness.
    Mom2Girls1230

Answer by Mom2Girls1230 at 1:30 AM on Mar. 22, 2009