Has anyone's baby had RSV or pneumonia at 7 months?

How did it turn out? We took my son to urgent care this morning and they found a spot of fluid on his lungs so they said it is most likely RSV or pneumonia. He's not dehydrated and doesn't have a fever and is still pretty active so all the did was give us a prescription for antibiotics and sent us home, but I'm still nervous. I guess I just need some words for comfort..anybody have any? Thanks..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My niece had RSV when she was around 8 months. She was way worse than your son is. She had a fever and was just tired all the time. They put her on the antibiotics and she got better. I hope he starts to get better soon. Good Luck!
    Williamswifey

Answer by Williamswifey at 11:13 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• My DD didn't, but I did when I was 6 months old, and was hospitalized for 2 weeks from it. From the sounds of it, he'll be fine. If he wasn't, I"m sure the drs. would have kept him longer.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• We just got over RSV two weeks ago. We were scheduled to leave for Disney World THAT DAY, and I ran him up to the dr just to get him checked for his cough!!!! Needless to say, we didn't go! We went to the hospital (just the lab) to get a nose swab and confirm. M willl be 9 months tomorrow. He never ran fever or anything. We did the steam shower and used the "nose-sucker" a lot!!!!! Just keep the baby rested and away from other kids for a little while. Our dr is very good! She explained it was just like a bad cold or bronchitis for an adult. Different degrees for different people. DON'T WORRY!!! She said most of the really bad cases are babies with lung issues. Just stay put, use humidifiers and steam showers and suck that nose out. Also, depending on where you live, a little walk outside might help some too. We never got antibiotics, though. Our dr said they don't give any meds for RSV...thats what the literature said as well!
    maxzmommy

Answer by maxzmommy at 1:24 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My daughter just spent five days in the hospitol with RSV, she was only 2 weeks when we brought her in. She never got a fever either and kept her appitie and every thing she just needed to keep her oxygen level for 24 hours before they sent her home. But they told us that RSV is a viral infection so antibiotcs don't do anything for it. She is doing ok now she just has coughing spells once in a while and we have to use the little suction thing on her nose a lot. well hope everything works out n your lil one gets better.
    BabyGsMaMa13

Answer by BabyGsMaMa13 at 2:38 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My youngest had RSV when he was 5 weeks old. If it's RSV, antibiotics won't do anything. It's a virus.

He was in the PICU for 5 days and almost ventilated three times. (much luckier than the other babies in there) He had no fever, just a "bad" cold...but he wasn't getting enough oxygen and was struggling to breath. He was tired from his struggle.

My older two were almost 3 years and 13 months at the time...they also had it but were able to stay home. Steam, humidifier, elevate the head, Tylenol for discomfort and the snot sucker...all were their best friends for the first week.

The cough takes a LONG time to go away....it was a couple of weeks at least.

I will be honest...the doctor's feel that the combination of family history (me) and the RSV is what contributed to my two youngest boys having asthma now. (could be one or the other, but the combo...*sigh*)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• OH...didn't they test for RSV? I'd demand that be done if they didn't. Call your doctor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:02 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My son had RSV when he was 9 months old. He had a 105 temp, couldn't breath, cough, runny nose and all of that. He was tested at the doctor's office - positive - and then he was put in the hospital on oxygen for 5 days and then still in the hospital for 2 more days. He was really sick! He is great now (he's 3) but for about a year after the RSV whenever he would get a cold he was really sick, not hospital sick but super sick. I would make them do the nose swab test, that's the way to test for RSV.
    DeeGillette

Answer by DeeGillette at 7:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My DD had is at a week old. The main things to watch for is that he is taking formula or breast and not getting dehydrated. Don't let him sleep though feedings. Watch his check when he breaths. When he inhales, if his chest (or just below his rib cage) sinks than he is laboring in his breathing. It is safe to put saline drops in his nose to moisten the mucus and then suck it out. Also, pat his back as if burping him but with your hands cupped, this will help loosen the mucus in his lungs. Except for steroid treatment, this is what the respiratory therapists did to my daughter while she was in the hospital 12 days for it. Make sure you follow up with your Dr.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 10:39 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My daughter got RSV when she was 3 months old and she was hospitalized for 5 days. It went from a cough to severely sick within hours. She almost stopped breathing numerous times and if it wasnt for the hospital she could have died. I was so scared.
    casper4991

Answer by casper4991 at 9:15 PM on Mar. 23, 2009

• i have a 61/2 mnth old and have just been told that he has pneumonia in his right lung and givin very strong antibiotics for him.... he has had problems with his chest since he was born and when he was 3mnths old i was told he had rsv and the hospital sent me home because he was lively and seemed ok... the next day he stopped breathing on me and ended up in hospital on oxygen for a few days and threw this whole time he still didnt seem as if he was ill and he was.... the only thing that wrong with my son at the min is that hes a bit of his food and he just wants to sleep.. which is realy not lik him at all... so doc told me to keep close ieye on him
    lilmiz

Answer by lilmiz at 12:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2009