Can a car seat be put in the front seat of a car that doesn't have an airbag?

My family wanted to know if my son could ride in the front seat of their car that does not have airbags. It's an older larger car and he would be in the middle. He's four and in a booster. The reason is my other three kids also have car seats and would fill the back. I told them I thought it was illegal but I'm not sure. Like what about people who have pickup trucks? So as long as you don't have an airbag can a child ride in the middle seat in the front? Sorry if this is a stupid question. I need help settling this argument. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Technically, it's probably legal, but it's extremely dangerous. I would tell them that they cannot have all of the children because they cannot safely transport them.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:09 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• The answer to that is............. GET A VAN!!!
    Anonymous

• i agree with kem. its legal but not safe.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 11:16 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• Check your state laws because it's not legal in my state unless there is no rear seat.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I am not sure of the legalities in your state. Contact your local fire department, police department, or hospital (and ask to speak with the carseat installation technicians) and explain your situation to them.

For a long time I had an inoperable vehicle and had to use my dad's truck. There is no backseat in his truck so DD sat in the front. I always turned the airbag OFF. I would imagine if all of the backseat was being taken up that your son sitting up front would not be a problem. I am sure there are many families with 5 people that cannot afford a different car and have to do exactly what you are doing.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:53 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I would assume with the other posters it depends on your state PLUS it's probably NOT safe.
    rocamom

Answer by rocamom at 8:09 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• It's not ideal, but it is legal (I believe). The child who should be placed in the front is the one who has the most protection, not one in a booster. If one of the kids is RF, that's the best one to be in a front seat with out airbags/with turned off airbags. If there are no RF kids, one in a 5 pt harness is still a better choice then the one in a booster. Like I said, it's not an ideal situation, but it can be done. I'd only do it if there were no other option.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Anon, are you purchasing said van? Not everyone can just up and get a new vehicle. Maybe that is her goal, but they just can't do it right now.

OP, I meant to ask, the ages,weights, kinds of seats the other kids are in, and what car so we can figure out the safest option.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• In my state it is legal,but no it is not the safest place in the car,but I understand you have to transport your kids at the sametime,but I would defintly put the oldest one up front,which I think you are.Good luck.,I and I hope somewhere in the future,you are able to purchase a van where you all can ride comfortable and safe.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 9:17 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Anon...don't be stupid. Really. It makes you look bad. How many people in this crappy ass economy do you know that can just go out and buy a van???? Get real.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Mar. 22, 2009