• In the Spotlight:

Are puppies really as hard as everyone makes them up to be?

I really want to get a puppy for my sons. I grew up around dogs and want one as well. I have had several people try to talk me out of it. They say that raising a puppy is just as hard as caring for a newborn and it would be too hard to do with two young children. My mom was very against it when I brought it up to her and said I should wait several years. My oldest is five so I know he won't be able to do much to care for the dog. He will have to learn things like filling up the water bowl and pouring food. I am more than willing to take a dog for walks. I already go for a walk at least once a day. So I want to know if having a puppy is really all that difficult. I don't necessarily want an older dog. I want to raise a puppy around children. I don't think I would be able to trust a dog that I didn't raise around my kids.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Pets

• What would you do if the kids are sick? a dog, young or old still needs to be walked. Getting a puppy for the kids is a fine thing but while having young kids it is like having anouther baby in the house.
    BooBear666

Answer by BooBear666 at 11:37 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• it is hard but I was the same way I wanted to raidse a puppy with my kids. My advice would be to crate train it. There are some good books out there and most dog trainers suggest and use the same technique. Do your research before you commit. This is what worked out best for us having little ones around, mine were 1 and 3 when we got our first dog. Good luck it is alot of work but you just have to be prepared, and do alot of searching about what breeds are good with young kids too.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 11:43 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• A puppy is a baby! We got our English bulldog when my daughter was 8 months old. We thought it would be great for the two to grow up around each other! Now it seems like when it is time to feed my daughter, the puppy wants out or wants to chew on something he is not suppose too. So I say if you have the time to run after a dog and its high maintenance ways, then go for it! I wish I would have waited until my daughter was old enough to do things for him to help! Oh and by the way, we don't have a fenced in yard so I am constantly taking him out, so if your yard is fenced thats one thing off of your back! Good luck! PS sorry it was a long answer!
    jennjune1984

Answer by jennjune1984 at 11:55 PM on Mar. 21, 2009

• The thing with puppies is, if you want housebreaking to go quickly and smoothly and you don't want everything destroyed, ANYTIME the puppy is awake it needs to be in your sights. I'm a member of a whippet message board and they archive the better discussions. Here is a link to a discussion about housebreaking. http://www.whippetworld.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=215
    The decision to get a puppy should not be made lightly. I'm not say it's a bad idea, but yes it is a lot of work for the first couple of months. Even up to a year or two pups can be masters of destruction. Going through a rescue and getting an older puppy that is 6 months to a year old and has been fostered might be a good idea. They are often house broken, crate trained, and know how to walk on a leash nicely. Yet they are still young enough to grow up with your kids.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:29 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• If you do decide a puppy is right for your home and you don't adopt from a shelter here is a good link about finding a responsible breeder - these tips can apply to any breed you decide to get.

http://www.whippetworld.net/board/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=60
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• it is very difficult especially with kids..and it is a LIFETIME commitment...have you considered getting a young but not "puppY" from the shelter that is already potty trained and used to kids...You would be surprised at the great breeds that they have and so many have been dumped due to all of the foreclosures...take your kids and see which one adopts YOU!:)
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:22 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• We have an 8 week old mini schnauzer right now named Sophie. I take her out at ten thirty pm, one am, three am, and five am. I have to take her out before and after each meal, and crate her for all but 15 minutes of every waking hour. (We are crate training.) While she is out of the crate, we are playing with her constantly so she is properly socialized. We train constantly. There cannot be ANYTHING left where she can get to it or she will chew it. ANYTHING. Being vigilant and hardworking now will prevent problems later.
    Is having a puppy hard? Yes. And No. Just depends on how old your kids are, and if you are willing to do the work. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:12 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• If you are willing to do the work, it is ABSOLUTELY worth it. :O) And sorry didn't see how old your kids were in the question at first.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:15 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My answer depends on whether the dog is inside or outside dog, and how old your youngest child is. They are a lot of work, but if you're not dealing with a small child who sticks anything in their mouth, the love they give is really wonderful and worth it. If it's inside, you have to think about male dogs marking, female dogs bleeding and all dogs chewing everything even if they've got plenty of toys and chew bones. My youngest is almost 4 now and we just got a German Shepherd and I crate this one but he's already chewed up my power cord to the lap top, and even tho he goes outside a lot, and is kenneled most of the time he's in the house, he needs to be active with the family and I've picked up I don't know how much poop that first couple of weeks and there's still accidents on occassion. It's tough having young kids and a puppy. I've lost countless dollars where the dogs have marked or chewed up kids toys, blankets etc
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 10:21 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Puppies are definitely a lot of work. My kids are teens now....but the puppy that we have now is working all of us to the bone. He is a mini dobie....very high energy. He has to jog...not walk to burn off energy, only that is not enough. He has to be watched very carefully throughout the day because he is still quite the chewer. He has chewed holes in couch cushions, attacked large packages of toilet paper (what a mess), chewed up the cord to a cell phone charger, and much more of the same. He will also lick his doggie brother (doxie) incessantly like a little groomer monkey. He licks his head, inside his ears, and on and on until we make him stop or the doxie gets upset with him. When my kids were small we got a border collie/lab mix pup from the shelter. She was the absolute best dog I could have ever wanted around small children. Calm, cool, and collected, never chewed a thing, and loved those kids to a fault.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 10:39 AM on Mar. 22, 2009