I know everyone is asking a potty training question, but I am at my wits end!

My son will be 4 in June and we have only had 2 successful encounters on the toilet (to which we responded with tons of praise and a candy treat- both which he loved). Now, he refuses to sit on the toilet. He could care less if he had to sit in a dirty diaper or underware all day and wants nothing to do with the toilet. I feel like I have tried everything under the sun and am getting no where. I realize that every kids will do it in their own time but I am really feeling like a failure. He is my oldest child and my daughter (who will be 2 in July) seems more interested in potty training then her big brother. Has anyone dealt with something like this? I would love any advice. TIA :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Mar. 21, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I have a three year old daughter that I thought was never going to be. I tried everything and the harder I pushed the harder she fought it. We stopped trying and within a month she potty trained herself. My son, who is ten now, was almost four and he was the same way. I think it's just built into them to fight their parents! LOL! Anyway, Good luck. It'll happen when you least expect it!!

Rozzanne

Answer by Rozzanne at 10:20 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• First of all you are in no way a failer. My son is 4 and just know doing his bm's on the potty after 1 1/2 years of working with him. We thought we would go crazy too! We had to start giving him a lax everyday because he was holding it in for a week at a time. It was a long road but he is finnaly doing it by himself. Good luck and remember to be patient.

joleensboys

Answer by joleensboys at 2:36 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My second didnt want anything to do with the potty, and would only go #1 on the potty until shortly after his 4th b-day. I felt like a failure too, wondered even if something was wrong with him, (even though it was obvious that he was very intelligent with everything ELSE that he did!). Then I started to look it up,and found out that on average,boys just dont potty train until their around 4! Also, I know several women with boys a bit younger than my son, who are ALL having the same problem! But, I had given up pressuring my now-5-yr-old, assuming that he would do it in his own time, since I had already tried the treat/praise route , then my mom had come for a visit, and a couple of times she put him on the potty while I was busy, and basically told him that she didnt believe in big boys going in a diaper,and i dont know if it was just having a different person tell him or he was just finally ready,but that was all it took
    Mum_of_4

Answer by Mum_of_4 at 5:46 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My boys were 2 and 3 when they started potty training, and I think they did so well because we just didn't pressure them. If they wanted to go, fine, if not, that was fine too. We didn't make it a big deal because I think if you do make a big deal of it, then they are more scared of disappointing you and them being nervous doesn't help them to go potty lol! So try just relaxing about it and realize he will do it in his own time.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:08 PM on Mar. 22, 2009

• well if you arent using a little potty try that and if you are using a little potty try the big potty. also, my son started on the little potty and wanted nothing to do with it. so what we did is we got this potty seat from walmart in the baby section and it sits right on top of the toilet seat. he loved it because it was spiderman. then when he got sick of it, we used his old little potty and turned it into a foot stool and he used that so he could stand and pee. he loves the fact that he can stand and pee. his daddy taught him how to aim and shoot. i think that and peeing with no hands are his two favorites. its really funny to watch. but good luck and i hope i helped at least a little =]
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 9:26 PM on Mar. 23, 2009