• In the Spotlight:

Do babies "smell" right after they come out?

This is more of a question from my boyfriend, but I'm kinda curious about how babies smell right after you give birth.

I know newborns have a smell to them, and I've always thought it was a cute smell. Is that what they smell like right after? Do they have a stinky smell? Is it strong?

I know most women say they don't really notice any smell, since it's their baby, and they could care less about any smell at the time of birth, But I've heard other people saying it's kind of a stinky smell.

BatGirl1415

Asked by BatGirl1415 at 12:26 AM on Mar. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i have had 4 babies and ive never noticed any smell?
    josalin

Answer by josalin at 12:28 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Have had 2 babies, and I've also never noticed any bad smell. In fact, believe it or not, when you have a breastfed baby and you smell their breath in those first few days it actually smells like sugar water! It is like heaven! (not sure about formula-fed but I'd guess not as much, just from the nature of that product having a different smell.)
    momto2under2

Answer by momto2under2 at 12:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Uhhhhhhh I've been to many, many deliveries at the hospital and have never noticed any sort of thing. That's just weird.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I wondered that too, but never noticed it when I had my daughter
    DesignerMom0801

Answer by DesignerMom0801 at 12:37 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I didn't really think there would be a smell. At least nothing strong. Just curious. I don't know what amniotic fluid and placenta would smell like.
    BatGirl1415

Answer by BatGirl1415 at 12:48 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• Nope, they just smell like your sweet little baby
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:01 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I was more worried about what I smelled like after 20 hours of labor. lmao. If there was a smell from her, I didn't notice it. I do know I was grateful when I was able to take a shower and feel clean again. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:03 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• My girl smells great from birth on... and her breath was delicious in the first couple months (now it's stinky)
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 6:44 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I noticed a smell.. I don't know how to describe it. DH and I just call it *new baby smell*. It's absolutely intoxicating! We didn't do typical hospital routine. They didn't really clean her before we got her, I nursed right away, etc... so we had a lot of time to just enjoy the smell! :) It was definitely there. Then for like 6 months after birth she had this intoxicating sent! She was breastfed, so that may have helped. I loved it! Can't wait for this baby to be born, at home!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 8:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2009

• I didn't really notice a smell when my son was born but after they wiped him off (before his first bath) he had the "new baby smell". It actually smells really good. He's 15 months now so he doesn't really have that smell anymore but every once in awhile I catch a wiff of it from somewhere.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:36 AM on Mar. 22, 2009